Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Wheeling > Washington Trails > Naches/Manashtash
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2010, 09:35 AM
ForestWatchVP.org

Default Little Naches Volunteer Help

I received this today:
Quote:
Dear WOHVA members,

Please read this request for Little Naches Volunteer Help from one of our members and pass it on as you see fit:

************************************************** ************************************
Do you recreate in the Little Naches ORV area?

Volunteers are needed for the new disbursed fee sites at the following areas:

Lost Meadow, Long Meadow, Longmire, and Ponderosa Camp.

The USFS has implemented new fee sites at these areas and campground hosts are needed. The fee will be five dollars per night per vehicle (trailed vehicles are included). Camp hosts are exempt from this fee.

My goal with this volunteer group would be to facilitate information and education under the guidelines of the USFS. The Forest Service has said it will keep close tabs on the fee’s collected versus money spent with the goal of using this new fee to “get money up the trail” which is the common goal between the Forest Service and us. Our volunteer efforts will greatly impact how much and how fast that money goes up the trail.

In an effort to help the USFS facilitate information, education, and volunteer work, I would like to submit the following proposal to you for ORV volunteer work in the drainage area:

My objective would be to have a dedicated group of ORV users to promote, and advocate responsible ORV use in the Little Naches area, working closely with the Forest Service to facilitate information and education. My goal is to work under the direction of the Forest Service to insure this area remains open, and sustainable now and for future generations. The role of this volunteer group would include, but not be limited to the following:

* Be educated and knowledgeable of the trail systems in the drainage,

* Provide camp host/s for the disbursed camp areas,

* Role model actions that promote responsible ORV use, and

* Fill out incident reports as needed/warranted, turning them into the Forest Service and or Yakima County Sherriff’s deputies (This would be needed for any gross misuse of resources in the area.)

* We would NOT act in any capacity of enforcement.

* Help insure that fees are paid for camping in the newly proposed pay areas, by a nightly check.

In the disbursed camp areas if a camper has not paid, give them information on how
to do so.

With the theft of the NOVA funds our volunteer efforts are needed now more than ever. If you bike, 4 wheel, or ATV in the Little Naches drainage area I need your help, please contact me for more information.

I would like to see this positive ORV program work for our sport and be and asset to the Forest Service.

Thank you,

Katie J. Harrison
rickatie@aol.com

And thanks, Katie, for stepping up and taking leadership in helping maintain our motorized recreational opportunities!

Sincerely,

Byron Stuck
WOHVA President

Old 04-19-2010, 04:57 PM
Old Goat

If you know this area. These camping areas mentioned is where most motorized users stay while in the Little Naches drainage. This fee structure is to put the monies collected on the trails. Without these funds there is practically no other funds for the trails in the area. The FS has had to come up with new creative ideas to fund trails.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:21 PM
ForestWatchVP.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrick Graves View Post
If you know this area. These camping areas mentioned is where most motorized users stay while in the Little Naches drainage. This fee structure is to put the monies collected on the trails. Without these funds there is practically no other funds for the trails in the area. The FS has had to come up with new creative ideas to fund trails.

I support paying this since it goes to these public lands.