Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Around the Camp Fire > Camp Fire Chat
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Camp Fire Chat Pull up a chair sit down and talk

Old 04-04-2010, 05:20 PM
Friends

Default Width Restrictions

I am curious if there are any width restrictions on the trails in Washington state? If so what are they and where. What determines if width restrictions are placed on a trail? Also does anybody know if there are width restrictions at Browns Camp?
Old 04-05-2010, 07:03 AM
Forum Leader

As far as WA in general, there is not a width restriction unless it in some of the smaller trails like over in Rim Rock area, most are basically "JEEP" width. as i had an 07 JK with a 78 width, i did find some trails a bit tight but not undueable.

Been to Browns camp area and sone trails there are and when there are there is an obdstacle at the beginning and end that tests it. Its usually about 80 inches.

PNW4WDA Reigon 1 member
Reiter Trail Watch Treasurer
Old 04-05-2010, 10:01 AM
rollin

When I was at Tahuya in February they had a sign that stated 96 inch width restriction.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:04 PM
No club affiliation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nichol View Post
When I was at Tahuya in February they had a sign that stated 96 inch width restriction.

Well darn, I was hoping to wheel my dually over there, guess there goes that plan... I only know of one rig that was that wide that actually wheeled, I can't believe they had such an issue they had to put up a sign...

As for the OP's question some places are not a problem with AXLE width such as lil naches but there are trails at rimrock that even a narrow body won't fit through easily unless it's a sami or flatty.

TSF is pretty much a freeway, wheel whatever you want down there it'll fit.

If anything I do or say offends you then good. Political Correctness has done what for us exactly? It is time to adopt the tactics of the opposition before you are defeated by your own unwillingness to risk offending those that wish to destroy our hobby and way of life.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:46 PM
Friends

I guess that I will have to clarify a bit. I was asking if the governing agency had imposed any width restrictions on the trails in Washington or Browns Camp? Any help with this question will be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:59 PM
No club affiliation

If you are heading out by yourself there is no set width restriction that I'm aware of. If you want to participate in pretty much any PNW event yes, I think there is a limit at 76" But hey, I've been wrong before.

If anything I do or say offends you then good. Political Correctness has done what for us exactly? It is time to adopt the tactics of the opposition before you are defeated by your own unwillingness to risk offending those that wish to destroy our hobby and way of life.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:58 AM
Forum Leader

i believe the PNW is revamping that limit slightly due to the new JK's comming out and there almost in ability to keep under that when getting wider tires than stock. A stock JK rubicon is @ 72 or 74 and when you goto an after market rim with a 12.50 tire it quickly adds up to 78. Stock rims are 6.25 offset with a 10 tire.

PNW4WDA Reigon 1 member
Reiter Trail Watch Treasurer
Old 04-08-2010, 09:58 AM
The One that Screws it up

Just for Clarification Sake... The PNW4WDA Has no Width Restrictions..

The Forest service Contract for Trail Jam has width restrictions embedded in the contract with PNW for that specific Event..
DogpoundOffroad
Old 04-08-2010, 03:12 PM
Friends

Now we are getting the answers that I was looking for, thanks Dogfather. Maybe Merrick knows if the F.S. has any width restrictions on any trails.

Let me give some history to the question. Most of the new trails in Central Oregon have or will have 80 inch Width Restrictions. Our club DC4W has voted to endorse this rule and I was wondering what is the situation in Washington and Tillamook are if any.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:28 PM
Cherokee Master

Jon- Never done any wheeling in TSF, but drop an email to either the Region 3 director or a PM to Pistons Chick, she might know. Non others in the state that I am aware of, except the ones for class and I and III

1988 Cherokee 4 door, 3" Rancho lift, custom sliders/steps, custom roof rack, custom camo paint, custom camo headliner, custom bumpers and Warn 9500 HS, 31-10.50's

Only 31's, but can drag self with either rig

BLM John Day/Snake RAC-OHV Representative

Wolfpack 4x4's - Region 5 - "Cave Lupum"

VP- Outcast Land Use Review Team