Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Tool Bag > Garage > RV Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RV Tech Big or Small

Old 05-02-2010, 12:11 AM
Administrator

Default Cellphone boost advantage

I was dinking around the internet. Came up with two products to help for those that live way out. One free, one not. I'm running a 3watt Wilson Cell amp in my towrig.

For those that live way out I thought it might be possible to mount the included antenna in the parabolic dish. The cell phone could then be inside the house on the included cradle with a 1.75watt advantage. I've read Verizon caps output power at .25watts.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Cell...oster-Antenna/

http://www.beachaudio.com/Wilson/815226-p-357924.html

06' CTD
Old 05-03-2010, 08:31 PM
Old Goat

Who's your carrier? Next time your over in the Nile pull into my driveway and call me. I want to know how well your system works from there.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:55 PM
Administrator

Will do. I can tell you with the booster alone at Jim Sprick park I have 2-3bars. This is with Verizon and a 3watt system. I was thinking about adding the satellite dish to mix to see if 4 bars was possible. Might make a viable option for high speed internet over cell network. I also used the booster on another members TMobile with a Blackberry. Also worked great.

Looking at getting a second booster for the Jeep. Second booster would be a 2watt system. The 2watt system is a lot more compact and more appropriate for the Jeep.

06' CTD
Old 05-18-2010, 10:24 AM
Old Goat

Over this past weekend I tried the idea with the old Sat dish. No worky. Did learn that US Celluar operates a Cell site in the area and that signal is good thru most of the Nile area. May just switch to that service when time comes due to upgrade.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:34 PM
Administrator

Just received my 2watt system for the Jeep. I'll have to test the 3watt system in the truck for you in July.

06' CTD
Old 06-02-2010, 09:50 PM
Administrator

Used my 2watt system at Westport last weekend. With my Verizon phone I had a full 4bars 3G/1x on the beach. Near Washaway beach I had 4bars on extended network. I'll report back after we hit Liberty in a few weeks.

06' CTD
Old 06-21-2010, 10:24 PM
Administrator

Tested the 2watt system at Liberty. At the campground it took me from sorta 1 bar to 4 bars of Extended Network. I'll report back after Trailjam.

06' CTD
Old 07-14-2010, 03:11 PM
Old Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcjp View Post
Tested the 2watt system at Liberty. At the campground it took me from sorta 1 bar to 4 bars of Extended Network. I'll report back after Trailjam.
Got to try my AT&T with a boosted antenna from the Nile House. No worky. Both Verision and Us Cellar work with no boost at that location. Guess when the contract is up I'll switch.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:05 PM
Administrator

Either AT&T has no roaming agreement or it's GSM technology isn't broadcast. At Trailjam with the 2watt and 3watt system I had 2-3 bars of service with Verizon on Extended Network (Roaming). On the Nile road I had 3-4 bars of service with the 2watt booster. Off the Nile Rd on Cloversprings Road I had 2 bars of service at the Cattle Guard. 4 bars of service at the Woodshed.

I had 2 bars of service on most of Kaner Quartz Eastbound. Up until I severed the antenna wire against a tree I had 2 bars of service on Rocky Saddle. I still had the antenna wire temped around the windshield frame. I saw the tree. Figured the new armor would handle it. Oops.

I had quite a few people use the booster in camp to call for parts. I made various calls while on the trail. Never had a problem. Very pleased with the performance.

06' CTD
Old 07-22-2010, 08:17 AM
The One that Screws it up

So Question?

In an area that flashes no service to 1 bar, in your Opinion will it change the environment to have a couple bars?
DogpoundOffroad