Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Wheeling > Washington Trails
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Washington Trails Green and Wet

Old 06-29-2010, 02:51 PM
Old Goat

Default The First Time ever!!

Well after as many years as I been running trails I was for the first time ever unable to get the rig I was driving out of the woods and back home (so to speak).

I worked for the Cle Elum Ranger District last Sunday and we (my wife and I) went for a run to check the trail and snowline up the 4w301 (Gallagher Head). We made it to where the snow stopped us and turned around and came out of the trail ok. Decided to run up a spur road and check out things there when the Power Steering pump on the FS Jeep started growling. I checked the fluids and all were ok. The belt was tight. You could see a vibration of the PS pump as the engine idled. We headed down the road and went out via the gate rather than the trail. Continued down towards Salmon La Sac and by the time we got there the pump was growling and had a loud rattle to it. We continued on and the noise got louder and louder. Just as we entered Ronald you could hear a new even louder noise. At that point I gave up making it back to the station. Kim and I pulled into the parking lot of the "OLD #3" Bar and Grill. Not a bad place to be stranded except I am in uniform and can not enjoy the livations as I would of liked. OH WELL!!

I called for assistance and Mikki came with the dually and a vehicle trailer. We loaded the FS Jeep and headed back to the station. Upon arrivial as we were unloading the trailer the FS Jeep spit out the fan belt. That was the end of the pump. I was able to manuever the jeep into it's parking stall.

Figures it would be a government vehicle that ruined my record of never needing assistance to get back to where I started without a strap, hook or tariler.

irtDOG:Anybody got a good power steering pump for a 98 TJ with a 4 liter. Our budget can't afford this!!
Old 06-29-2010, 07:43 PM
Old Goat

I received a phone call from Jim Putnam (Pokey) a little while ago. He has made arrangements for a power steering pump for Eugene the Jeep (FS jeep). I will be able to pick the pump up at Billy Bob's 4x4 shop tomorrow morning.

Way to go JIM!!!! I understand that this support comes thru the combined efforts of Jim's Club the "Hombre's"!

I would like to offer my deepest apreciation! Thank you,Thank You!!!
Old 06-29-2010, 07:51 PM
Washington State Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrick Graves View Post
I received a phone call from Jim Putnam (Pokey) a little while ago. He has made arrangements for a power steering pump for Eugene the Jeep (FS jeep). I will be able to pick the pump up at Billy Bob's 4x4 shop tomorrow morning.

Way to go JIM!!!! I understand that this support comes thru the combined efforts of Jim's Club the "Hombre's"!

I would like to offer my deepest apreciation! Thank you,Thank You!!!
Not a problem Merrick, If I dont show up at Jamboree by tuesday you will know they were really mad at me Club meeting is on Monday night but no matter what, its covered.
Member #40 Hombres jeep club
Region 2 landmatters chairman
Wa. State Director PNW4WDA
Old 06-30-2010, 02:04 PM
Old Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim putman View Post
Not a problem Merrick, If I dont show up at Jamboree by tuesday you will know they were really mad at me Club meeting is on Monday night but no matter what, its covered.

Now it does'nt sound like Jim is in as much trouble as he had feared. I'll let Jim explain why not.

Thank you both Jim and Billy Bob's. I'll pick up the pump in a couple of hours. Maybe I'll get it installed tomorrow.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:59 PM
Washington State Director

Bob not only sold me the Part at his cost he kicked in 1/2 with me to get this jeep back on the trails. Thanks Bob
Member #40 Hombres jeep club
Region 2 landmatters chairman
Wa. State Director PNW4WDA
Old 06-30-2010, 04:26 PM
Friends

Quote:
Bob not only sold me the Part at his cost he kicked in 1/2 with me to get this jeep back on the trails. Thanks Bob
Bob rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-30-2010, 08:46 PM
Old Goat

Quote:
Jim bring a Billy Bob's sticker to Jamboree. I 'll put it on the jeep with the other sponsor's.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:05 AM
ForestWatchVP.org

Maybe the FS Jeep should not wheel alone.

Very cool for the help received.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:38 PM
Old Goat

Eugene (FS Jeep) is repaired. The new pump was installed. I spent more time getting the pulley off the shaft of the old pump that what doing the rest of the job did. All total because of the donation the repair cost less the $20. I donated my time to effect repairs.

Thank you again to Jim, The Hombre's and Billy Bob's.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:43 PM
Old Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceg_ View Post
Maybe the FS Jeep should not wheel alone.

Very cool for the help received.
After all the years I've run these hills to be stranded at the Old #3 was not so bad.

As long as I land upright the FS Jeep is equiped to talk to Wenatchee dispatch (FS), Cle Elum Dispatch (FS), Kittitas Sheriff, WSP, DNR, and when the plane or Helicopter is in the air I can contact them.