Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Wheeling > Washington Trails
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Washington Trails Green and Wet

Old 07-01-2010, 07:50 PM
Dirt Napper....

Glad to hear all is well with the FS Jeep Merrick....
Old 07-01-2010, 09:03 PM
ForestWatchVP.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrick Graves View Post
As long as I land upright the FS Jeep is equiped to talk to Wenatchee dispatch (FS), Cle Elum Dispatch (FS), Kittitas Sheriff, WSP, DNR, and when the plane or Helicopter is in the air I can contact them.
Very cool!

Old 07-01-2010, 09:32 PM
Old Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceg_ View Post
Very cool!
The other thing that should be noted is that when I am out alone I would not call it wheeling. It's more like taking a drive in the forest. Anything that I encounter that has a challenge to it is walked beforehand. If there is risk that is deemed excessive I avoid. I know the trails well enough to avoid some when I'm alone and that I can use the roads to get around. That somewhat helps in the sense that I can leepfrog thru a trail system and cover more ground when use is light. I am exploring if I want to use a motorcycle for some of my patrols. You can really get around on some of the trails with a bike. Althouth some trails are so covered with rocks it would not be prudent to ride a m/c. The thing about Education/Enforcement is making your presence known and making contacts with everyone.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:02 AM
rollin

someday I would like to hear some stories of the "strange things" you may have seen on the trail. We have a friend on Montana that is a LEO that has told us some odd tales.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:20 AM
ForestWatchVP.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrick Graves View Post
The other thing that should be noted is that when I am out alone I would not call it wheeling. It's more like taking a drive in the forest. Anything that I encounter that has a challenge to it is walked beforehand. If there is risk that is deemed excessive I avoid. I know the trails well enough to avoid some when I'm alone and that I can use the roads to get around. That somewhat helps in the sense that I can leepfrog thru a trail system and cover more ground when use is light. I am exploring if I want to use a motorcycle for some of my patrols. You can really get around on some of the trails with a bike. Althouth some trails are so covered with rocks it would not be prudent to ride a m/c. The thing about Education/Enforcement is making your presence known and making contacts with everyone.
And we are glad to see you guys out there. People tend to follow the rules better knowing someone maybe watching and they could get in trouble if caught doing something illegal. I believe stopping damage before it starts is the key to keeping trails open.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:49 PM
Old Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceg_ View Post
And we are glad to see you guys out there. People tend to follow the rules better knowing someone maybe watching and they could get in trouble if caught doing something illegal. I believe stopping damage before it starts is the key to keeping trails open.
We came back to gather a thing or two. But I have a thought to share with the presence and contact idea.

For a couple of years I worked as a volunteer with the E&E at Naches. We had info packets that we handed out on trail and at camp. Was typical info type stuff. I also added some PNW4WDA stuff and introduced myself as a member. Got some blank stares got a couple of sour comments but mostly just the "WHO ?". I think any org interested in being a presence in the trail system should carry packets of educational info. Everyone on the trails should be allied to help prevent problems and report problems that are discovered.

Thru my limited exposure as a Ranger I am starting to see some of my work come back positive towards this effort. Let's all rally together to further this effort. It's something everyone can do!!