Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Tool Bag > Garage
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Garage Break it/Fix it

Old 07-06-2010, 07:44 PM
HIT IT!!

Default Re-inforcing XJ unibody

Ive read builds on pirate 4x4, but was curious if anybody here in the PNW has done this yet to strengthen up their unibody for wheeling or bigger mods? Some have used angle iron and some C channel, most welded it some bolted with sleeves. 1/8th and 3/16ths is the thickness they used. Just wondering what has worked for people, and if I can score some pictures to look at and get an idea for my XJ once I return home next month from deployment.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:22 PM
Cherokee Master

I got a set of reinforcements (3/16's) from 4 Wheeling Plus .com ( a member here) and welded them in. Had to redo a couple of holes, but otherwise a good fit. They will go under the front link arm mounts if needed and roll up in the rear frame arch. Run from inside bottom of subrail, up the outside and out under the floor around 3/4 inch. I used them to mount a set of sliders/steps/nerf bars of my own design. Happy with them overall. Give Ron a PM for current pricing. Sorry, no pics yet of the rig.

1988 Cherokee 4 door, 3" Rancho lift, custom sliders/steps, custom roof rack, custom camo paint, custom camo headliner, custom bumpers and Warn 9500 HS, 31-10.50's

Only 31's, but can drag self with either rig

BLM John Day/Snake RAC-OHV Representative

Wolfpack 4x4's - Region 5 - "Cave Lupum"

VP- Outcast Land Use Review Team
Old 09-18-2011, 07:11 PM
Member since 1996

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Waugh View Post
I got a set of reinforcements (3/16's) from 4 Wheeling Plus .com ( a member here) and welded them in. Had to redo a couple of holes, but otherwise a good fit. They will go under the front link arm mounts if needed and roll up in the rear frame arch. Run from inside bottom of subrail, up the outside and out under the floor around 3/4 inch. I used them to mount a set of sliders/steps/nerf bars of my own design. Happy with them overall. Give Ron a PM for current pricing. Sorry, no pics yet of the rig.
Hey Art... I've been meaning to ask you if you noticed any articulation differences between the before and after?