Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Wheeling > Washington Trails > Rimrock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2010, 09:29 PM
Washington State Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binder View Post
My .02c....I don't see the big deal with using the word "buggy" as a generalization. "Wider rig" could be a fullsize Bronco or Hummer. "Buggy" gets the point across.
Using the word is no big deal as long as the context doesn't change to "Buggies need to stay off the trails" because then things would need to be more specific....
But hey, whateva.
And Jim I believe the gate keepers could be built to successfully keep "buggies" out if this were the goal.
And wider rigs. Yes they would work with a percentage of the users but its always those pesky 1%s that mess things up. As already evident on this trail that just opened last month.

Personaly I think the FS is getting tired of those 1%s and thus the heavy fines for not following the rules are going to become the norm. Also along with the fines will be more rules and the noose is going to get tighter and tighter each coming year. Just my perspective from what I see and hear
Member #40 Hombres jeep club
Region 2 landmatters chairman
Wa. State Director PNW4WDA
Old 08-11-2010, 09:32 PM
Pimp of the woods

How do we know a well built "gatekeeper" wouldn't work. It doesn't have to be a large pile of rocks. It could be concrete and polls to give a more realistic representation of the trail. I have never seen one around here, just the pic's of the thing at walker(I dont even know if that thing is a gatekeeper or not). Apparently the threat of fines does not work and has never worked, so maybe its time to try something new.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:38 PM
Pimp of the woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim putman View Post
Most PNW4WDA members have learned to build their rigs to fit the trail.

:
Im a pnw4wda member and I did build my rig to fit the trails.

Quote:
They do not expect the to change the trail to fit their particular rig.:
It looks like they just did
Old 08-11-2010, 09:49 PM
Old Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wood View Post
How do we know a well built "gatekeeper" wouldn't work. It doesn't have to be a large pile of rocks. It could be concrete and polls to give a more realistic representation of the trail. I have never seen one around here, just the pic's of the thing at walker(I dont even know if that thing is a gatekeeper or not). Apparently the threat of fines does not work and has never worked, so maybe its time to try something new.
The problem as stated would be to get those with no honor to use the gate keeper. There are numerous ways around the trail entrance. You can not put up or maintain enough blockades. Although further in you could put an effective gatekeeper. But that would lead to the type of user abuse that got the trail closed in the first place.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:00 PM
that WOHVA guy

Quote:
So yes the FS is "taking the easy way out" by regulating equipt. instead of spending more money (that they dont have) on enforcement.
Am I the only one that sees something wrong with that logic?

Quote:
This is where the line "build your rig to fit the trail" has come into play and will continue to be the truth for some time to come.
Which trails are we referring to...the trails as they were originally built back in the day or the trails as they currently exist?
Old 08-11-2010, 10:05 PM

My first impression was, "you've got to be kidding." But taking the time to read and think a little, I have to admit that I agree with restricting a trail to maintain it's character. I cannot comment on whether or not the particular guidelines are reasonable or not because I don't know the trail.

At Elbe, my favorite stomping/sloshing grounds, I've been fighting to better access for the larger vehicles and more difficult trails, hence the changes to Rainier Vista for example. On the other hand I would support building of a new trail designated for SWB only vehicles. In order to maintain a trails characteristics you have to keep unsuited vehicles off it.
Rainier Vista will get too easy if people start stacking rocks and moving stuff around because they weren't prepared or out of their league. We don't have proper gatekeepers up yet...
I've already run into people complaining that it was going to be TOO HARD.

Anyway, I am a supporter of trails that have recommended maximums AND minimums in order to maintain the trail's unique characteristics.

I don't agree that tight and twisty equals difficult either but there are a lot of people that do. They deserve to be able to have their trails as well.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:19 PM
Has some friends

Quote:
In a perfect world we wouldnt need them at all as we as responsible users would be self policing ourselves to protect OUR resource.
You know as well as I that we don't live in anything even close to a perfect world. In a perfect world we wouldn't need laws, rules, police or the PNW.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:40 PM
Old Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binder View Post
You know as well as I that we don't live in anything even close to a perfect world. In a perfect world we wouldn't need laws, rules, police or the PNW.
And that's just the short list!
Old 08-11-2010, 11:10 PM
Friends

WOW, one trail in the entire trail system has a restriction because it could only be rebuilt to a certain standard or else be closed forever and it generates all this. Geez!
I keep my rig small so all the trails seem like a challenge. The side effect is I'm not contributing to the inherit widening and deeper rutting a wider and taller tired rig does. Making a rig meaner and badder causes people to run in conditions lesser rigs have to wait for better conditions causing even more wear on trails. If I was too wide for a particular trail, I would think I could either modify my rig just for this trail(borrow skinny tires), run with someone with a rig that's within limits, or borrow someones rig to run it.
I would like to see the FS post signs everywhere stating "Dial ..................if you see someone.....................like those littering signs. As soon as word got out that we were calling in offenders and they were getting caught, that would change a whole **** of alot of actions.
Notice I didn't say buggys?
Old 08-12-2010, 06:47 AM
Pimp of the woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
Anyway, I am a supporter of trails that have recommended maximums AND minimums in order to maintain the trail's unique characteristics.
Too bad they will never pass a minimum tire size requirement.