Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Tool Bag > Garage
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Garage Break it/Fix it

Old 08-13-2009, 07:48 PM
Friends

Default Wiring help?

Hey all, pretty much a first timer here, but I just bought my first jeep a few months ago and have been tinkering with it since trying to bring it to life.

So the issue I have right now is that the wiring is messed up at some point, but I don't know where. (the previous owner used a Painless wiring kit, which I have the book to). But I haven't been able to trace down the issue.

The issue being I have no taillights, and turning on my turn signals makes all the lights flash on and off like Emergency lights(tail lights, headlights, but not front turn signal lights). I'm stumped, but I know something has been crossed somewhere.

Any suggestions where I should look for a possible cause?

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice!

Richard,
New to the crowd

Just so you know, it's a 1956 Willys CJ5 Jeep.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the board. Sorry I can't help much with the wiring. Start with your grounds. Not only are they connected but have a good connection.

I recently fixed the ground on my Wife's 01' Minivan. The connection wasn't that great. We bought the vehicle new. Voltage drop across the connection is now very small.

06' CTD
Old 08-19-2009, 07:16 AM
Forum Leader

I would check the connection at the steering cloum and make sure it plugged in correctly.

PNW4WDA Reigon 1 member
Reiter Trail Watch Treasurer
Old 06-13-2010, 01:08 PM
Friends

Hey all, once again!

Got the initial wiring all fixed and straightened out, but a new issue has cropped up!

I don't seem to be getting any power to the fuse box, so nothing is working, no ignition, no lights or fans.

I've check the battery (its good), I've tested the various connections from the starter and as far as I can trace, but for some reason Still no power. Sadly, my knowledge of electrical issues is rather small, and short of checking the fuses (which I did), I don't know where the issue could be for the power not getting either to the fuse box, or leaving it to power anything.

I ask, because right now it doesn't run, and I don't have any easy way to tow it to the shop.

Any advice would be nice! Thanks!
Old 06-13-2010, 02:03 PM
Washington State Director

First I would check your ignition switch and make sure you have power there. Should be a hot lead (from batt) coming in there and then going out in the acc and ign side of the switch (when key is turned) Next would be to follow the source from the batt/alt to the panel and or ignition sw. also make sure your grounds are connected from the battery to the body and drivetrain
Member #40 Hombres jeep club
Region 2 landmatters chairman
Wa. State Director PNW4WDA
Old 06-13-2010, 05:32 PM
Redneck

I've had numerous troubles with ignition switches, including weak contacts causing charging problems. Check for power at the BATT terminal, and with the key on at IGN and ACC. If you have an amp meter in-line to the BATT side of the switch check both sides of it. Whether it's good or bad throw it away and get a volt gage.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:33 AM
"OLD GUY"

Make sure on the starter solenoid that you have the battery cable AND the 10 gauge wire on the BATTERY side of the terminal, NOT the starter side! These wiring issues can be a real bear, keep posting with what you have tried and we will keep thinking!
Cle Elum Ranger Dist. ORV Ranger
Build your rig to fit the trails, don't change the trails to fit your rig!
Old 06-14-2010, 03:43 PM
Friends

Thanks for the help guys.

After being the idiot I am, I finaly checked the one connection I didn't think to check and I'm kicking myself for not doing it first.

Basicly, the lead off the battery to the main fuse was bad. (not the big wire, the little 10 gauge one). It was taped up and wraped in protective cover, but lo and behold when I pulled it apart, the connector splice the wires together was not even holding the wires together.

Chalk another one up to the guy I bought this from, it's been one shoddy bit of work after another, but I got it fixed now! And my jeep runs!....

Now if Only I had figured that out saturday, or even yesterday. I think it bummed me out enough to not go to the Elbe fun run. Sorry about that! I shouldn't take things so seriously!

Again, thanks for the input guys!
Old 06-14-2010, 04:12 PM
Washington State Director

Its all a learning experience. at Least it was a easy and cheap fix.
Member #40 Hombres jeep club
Region 2 landmatters chairman
Wa. State Director PNW4WDA