Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Wheeling > Washington Trails
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Washington Trails Green and Wet

Old 12-22-2014, 02:17 PM
Friends

Default New to this forum, but not new to off-roading or forums.

Greetings!

I am a UTV rider in Snohomish, WA. I travel all over the place to ride, and a lot of the stuff I ride on is 4x4 trails.
I joined this forum to discuss details about 4x4 trails because I am writing a UTV Guide Book, and thought it might be helpful to get some perspective from a wheeler group.
I am starting small, with just Western Washington State. Consider this a "pilot project", and if it seems to be worthwhile, I'll go bigger with it.

It won't be a comprehensive list of all places it is possible to go. Nor will it cover every single side trail and dead end in each area.
But it will cover the good/official places to ride, and a fun loop or series of trails in each place.

Here is a demo of the guide book in progress. http://blog.bruteforcetech.com/GuideBookDemo.pdf
In addition to the stuff you see in the demo, I am including additional information that is helpful to readers and expected to be in a guide book.

Here is the stuff I have thought of so far:
1. Disclaimer about it being a dangerous sport and readers need to wear their grown-up pants, use judgment, and not try to sue me if they break their stuff/neck.
2. Book information: Edition, publisher, copyright, printed in the USA by small local businesses, where to find trail updates, etc.
3. Scope of this book and how to use this book.
4. Introduction (About the author and how this book came to be).
5. Preparedness (Tools and crap to bring with you on the trail, proper clothing and protective gear, etc.)
6. Overview map with numbered markers for all areas in the book and their difficulty level, including brief examples of what those levels include.
7. Trail index on the page facing the map overview, including name/description, brief summary, difficulty level, and page number it begins on.
8. "Boring but Important Information" including passes, street legal registration, and a lecture about staying on designated trails.
9. Some interesting photos to break up the boringness of all of that text and catch the eye so people might not skip the entire boring stuff section.
10. Stuff to do when not riding. This is a section that will list out some additional attractions near to each area, for when you need a break from riding, or someone who is traveling with you gets bored.

I am interested in feedback regarding the demo file, and whether you can think of any additional information that I should include in the book.
What do you think?
Old 12-22-2014, 04:37 PM
Old Goat

You might add to section 8. You need to cover the different orgs locally, regionally, and nationally that are political in nature and defend both public and private riders/users rights. You also might want explain how to contact your legislator, how to write letters, and the fact if you are not involved politically, that is a problem.

Perhaps also include a section on how to become a volunteer, working on different trail projects. Some folks would like to learn how to coordinate/organize such work party's.

Just a few of many thoughts!
Old 12-22-2014, 04:46 PM
Friends

That might be worth a page. I don't want to include too much dry stuff, but some of that could be useful. Thanks for the input!
Old 12-22-2014, 09:54 PM

I'd take any suggestion Merrick makes seriously. Politics and keeping trails open are one in the same any more, and if a guys gonna get into this sport/hobby, he needs to be aware of the political side...

www.peakputters.com

It's a Scout thing
Old 12-22-2014, 10:22 PM
Friends

I am willing to allocate some room to these things, but am not politically experienced enough to know what to put in there. Particularly, what could be printed on a static medium like a paper book, and still be relevant a few years later (without being so vague as to be useless).

If someone is willing to write up some material to include in the book, I will be happy to look at it. I'll also try and contact some other resources I've bumped into in the past that might be interested in getting some information out there in this format.

I'll try to come up with something, but the political side is not an area of strength for me.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:41 PM
Old Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoundrel View Post
I am willing to allocate some room to these things, but am not politically experienced enough to know what to put in there. Particularly, what could be printed on a static medium like a paper book, and still be relevant a few years later (without being so vague as to be useless).

If someone is willing to write up some material to include in the book, I will be happy to look at it. I'll also try and contact some other resources I've bumped into in the past that might be interested in getting some information out there in this format.

I'll try to come up with something, but the political side is not an area of strength for me.

One word. Followed by many more.

Research

Ever been to a PNW4WDA Region Meeting? Monthly, Yearly Winter Convention, Quarterly BOD meetings. Other orgs have meetings also. DNR has meetings, Forest Service also. Attend.

Ever done time volunteering. Work party's are as much fun as recreating. Participate.

You are a writer? Write to a state senator? The how to's and why's will never change. Maybe never even the attitudes.

Heck, if you figure this out you could write a whole book about the politics of this whole battle to keep lands open. Fiction or non-fiction.

No matter how dry and boring its importance may even be more important than the recreation itself, cause without it the recreation may have no chance.

Get off the forum and go back to the main page. Find the officers page. Contact them. Pm myself. Grumpy is full of it (information). Art brings an interesting perspective. You my friend have lots to do.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:29 PM
Friends

Of course I've never been to a PNW4WDA meeting, because I'd never heard of the group before yesterday.
But I have attended meetings with other clubs, and have spent countless hours listening to people go on and on about their particular narrow focus.
And I've listened to countless hours of petty arguments about things that don't make a big difference.
And I've been lied to and taken advantage of by both the DNR and political activist groups.

Sure, I've done time volunteering.
I've put my back out and aggravated my "tennis elbow" wielding a shovel all day in the rain.
I dragged a garden trailer full of rocks up and down trails behind an ATV and shoveled rocks out of it - and also spent money on parts and labor when the half-trained monkey driving the DNR bobcat overloaded the trailer with rocks and then "patted down the load". He destroyed 4 garden trailer axles that day.

I'm not a writer. I'm a computer geek who likes to ride UTVs, trying to do something to improve access to and participation in the sport in a way that appeals to me and that I am good at, and that does NOT include being a political activist. Not everyone has to be a political activist, despite every political activist's belief that it should be so.

You want to contribute some material? Fine. I will look at it. You want to convert me into an activist and put me to work sweet-talking the people that redirect our tax money and our NOVA funds to things that do not support our sport and fail to represent our interests? No thank you. It's not happening.

This is not a book about ORV politics. This is a book about what recreational opportunities are out there and how to get to them, and what will be found there. I'm not going to allocate 50 pages to politics. Like I said, I am willing to include this information, but it is NOT the primary focus of the book.

And, I'm starting to see why people have left this club stating that it was too political.
I didn't come here for a lecture on your perception of my responsibilities.
I came here to find out whether you want Yacolt Burn included in the book, and any general pointers you might have regarding what else should be included.

If you want to answer the question about Yacolt Burn, fine. If you want to contribute some material regarding getting involved, fine. Otherwise, I'm done here.

Last edited by Scoundrel; 12-22-2014 at 11:56 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:42 PM
Friends

Hmm. It seems that I got all fired up on an Internet forum.
It has been a long time since I allowed that to happen.
I apologize for the intensity of my words, but my meaning remains unchanged.
Please try and see through the attitude and understand where I am coming from.

Politics is necessary, but most definitely not for me to be involved in.
I don't have the demeanor for it.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:05 AM
Old Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoundrel View Post
Hmm. It seems that I got all fired up on an Internet forum.
It has been a long time since I allowed that to happen.
I apologize for the intensity of my words, but my meaning remains unchanged.
Please try and see through the attitude and understand where I am coming from.

Politics is necessary, but most definitely not for me to be involved in.
I don't have the demeanor for it.
I hope someone from the Yacolt chimes in. If so I hope they take a moment to explain their years long involvement to get that area to where it is today.

Good luck with your project.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:08 AM
Friends

I read some threads here regarding that years long involvement and the work that has been done. I understand the sensitivity of it. That is why I am asking first, instead of just doing it.
Thank you.