Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Wheeling > Land Matters Discussion Area
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Land Matters Discussion Area Discussion Relating to Your Land/Legislative Issues

Old 08-20-2014, 10:39 AM
Resident Ankle Biter

Default DNR Trail Policy Update (ie State Trails Act)

I will be attending the September 22nd meeting in Battleground and will be applying to participate on the Trail Policy Committee - but this is a public open house and all are invited to participate...

Crystal

Recreation Trails Policy Background

Updated: August 4, 2014

Go to the original link on the DNR website here:
http://dnr.wa.gov/RecreationEducatio...ls_policy.aspx

On March 28, 2014, Engrossed Substitute House Bill 2151 was signed into law. The main component of this bill directs DNR to develop a recreational trail policy and to adopt the policy by October 31, 2015.

Once a recreational trail policy is in place, DNR will be able to establish trail standards guided by the priorities outlined in ESHB 2151. DNR will work with stakeholders and the public in the development of the recreational trail policy.

Focus on trails
DNR currently manages over 1,000 miles of designated trails statewide. There are also hundreds of miles of user-created trails on DNR-managed lands. A recreational trails policy will allow DNR to continue providing a broad range of sustainable recreation opportunities, including non-motorized and motorized activities such as hiking, horseback riding, mountain biking, motorcycle and ATV riding, and 4x4 use.

How are we going to develop the policy?
The Recreation Trails Policy is going to be developed in partnership with the public. There will be a variety of ways for you to participate. This summer the department is gathering input from agency staff across the state. In late summer and fall there will be several open houses at various locations across the state designed to collect public input.

Later this fall DNR will set up a committee of interested stakeholders who will begin collaborating with the agency to review public comments, identify issues, evaluate options, and develop the policy.

We anticipate a final draft of the policy in summer 2015. At that time there will be an environmental review and public comment period on the proposed policy in compliance with the State Environmental Policy Act (SEPA).

Learn more about the project phases and proposed timeline are identified on the Recreation Trails Policy flowchart.

How can you participate?

Public Open Houses
Attend one of the public open houses later this summer to discuss the project with us and give us your thoughts. The specific meeting locations will be posted on this webpage once they are available.

Thursday - September 18, 2014
6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
DNR Northwest Region Office
919 N Township Street
Sedro Woolley, WA

Monday - September 22, 2014
6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Dollars Corner Fire Station #26
21609 NE 72nd Avenue
Battle Ground WA 98604

Wednesday - September 24, 2014
6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Ellensburg, WA

Thursday - September 25, 2014
6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Spokane, WA

Tuesday -September 30, 2014
6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Issaquah, WA

Thursday - October 2, 2014
6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Port Angeles, WA

Trail Policy Committee
Apply to be on the trail policy committee. This committee will include approximately 15 public members and will work with the agency throughout the project. Details of how to apply to be a committee member will be available at the public meetings in the fall and will be posted on this webpage at that time.

Email
Send us an email during the project and share your comments. The email address for this project is trailspolicy@dnr.wa.gov.

E-News
Sign up to receive periodic updates on this project through our E-News distribution. Sign up online.

SEPA
Provide formal comments to us during the SEPA public comment period anticipated in late summer 2015.
Piston's Wild Motorsports
www.pistonswild.com
PNW4WDA Member for 25 Years
(360) 606-1648

"SARCASM - because beating the crap out of people is illegal."
Old 09-11-2014, 09:39 AM
Resident Ankle Biter

All dates, times and locations have been determined. Go to the following link for all of the details:

http://www.dnr.wa.gov/RecreationEduc...policy_nr.aspx
www.pistonswild.com
(360) 606-1648

Old 09-23-2014, 05:48 PM
Resident Ankle Biter

Default DNR Advisory Committee

To Whom It May Concern:

I just read the most recent Tri-Power from front to back and found in the notes from Fall Delegates Meeting the following:

"Arlene Brooks (Green River Valley Jeepers) said she had seen on the Web Site that Chrystal Crowder (Piston’s Wild) had thrown her name into the ring to be on an advisory committee and was wondering if she was doing this as a representative of the PNW, the Region or her club. Kyle said it’s her club."

I've never been a fan of people speaking on my behalf and even more so when my intentions are being mis-represented. Yes -I am applying to be on the DNR Trail Policy committee.

I am doing so because I believe my trials and errors over the past seven years pursuing and building new trails (concept to implementation) in the Yacolt Burn provides me with a very unique perspective on what could be more efficient. The fact that there were so many factors working against us (including the 4x4 community) that we still managed to overcome should be testament to my dedication to the process.

As for who I am representing?

Yes, I am a founding member and President of Piston's Wild Motorsports.
Yes, I am currently the Washington Land Matters representative for Region 3.
Yes, I have been a member of the PNW4WDA for over 25 years.

I love this sport and 4-wheeling is a very large part of my life. I don't go into any meeting hoping to get creed for any individual, group or entity - I support the sport.

Everything I do is to support the sport. Period.

If life were fair, creed and reward would automatically go to the individuals who do the work - not the person who has the most idle time on their hands and steps up to take the credit while those who do the work are BUSY DOING THE WORK.

I accept the fact that I will probably NOT be selected for the committee because I don't travel in the political circles that would ensure me a seat at the table - but it does not mean I will not try...
www.pistonswild.com
(360) 606-1648

Last edited by PistonsChick; 09-23-2014 at 05:57 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:46 AM
Cherokee Master

Crystal--

Knowing you and what you do and how hard you work at doing it, and knowing Arlene, and what she has done and continues to do, I would suspect she and the PNW would support you as a representative to the group. If I was in your shoes I would ask for a letter of support from Angie, and if appointed confirmation from your state Director that you are authorized to represent the PNW at such meetings.

Don't toss the eggs out just yet, with all you have done in Yacolt, and the way you work with other user groups, especially motorized, you might get a very pleasant surprise. I'm behind you 100%

1988 Cherokee 4 door, 3" Rancho lift, custom sliders/steps, custom roof rack, custom camo paint, custom camo headliner, custom bumpers and Warn 9500 HS, 31-10.50's

Only 31's, but can drag self with either rig

BLM John Day/Snake RAC-OHV Representative

Wolfpack 4x4's - Region 5 - "Cave Lupum"

VP- Outcast Land Use Review Team

Last edited by Art Waugh; 09-24-2014 at 09:10 AM.