Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Wheeling > Washington Trails > Naches/Manashtash
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2009, 11:34 PM
Dirt Napper....

Default Area Closed for Memorial weekend???

There is word that the Manastash area is gonna be closed this yr...Can anyone substantiate this rumor???

Last edited by Dogfather; 12-26-2011 at 02:44 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:37 PM

Default Little Naches is CLOSED for MEMORIAL

I got the official word today.The USFS asked that I post this on all forums. The Little Naches drainage area is closed to all off-road travel for Memorial weekend . The reason given was there is to much windfall trees and chance for Ecological damage. Due to conditions.
I don't know how this will effect the Kittitas side i.e. the funny rocks this is in a different forest district.
If you need more info please contact the Naches Ranger Dist. 509-653-1401
Old 05-12-2009, 11:31 PM
Dirt Napper....

Awww Man!!!
Old 05-13-2009, 12:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAYCRAZY View Post
I got the official word today.The USFS asked that I post this on all forums. The Little Naches drainage area is closed to all off-road travel for Memorial weekend . The reason given was there is to much windfall trees and chance for Ecological damage. Due to conditions.
What the **** does that mean?

I think it's just BS. USFS has a long time history of finding where people go to enjoy themselves and close it!

Old 05-13-2009, 07:33 AM
Old Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
What the **** does that mean?

I think it's just BS. USFS has a long time history of finding where people go to enjoy themselves and close it!

Sure you want to stand behind that statement? Seems rather ignorant to me. Ever been to that area Memorial weekend? Ever attended a workparty there to help restore resource damage caused that weekend?

Education and emphasis patrols have not helped. Discussion of tire size and vehicle size has gone nowhere. Continued irresponsible overuse on Memorial weekend has forced the FS to respond this way. The financial cutback have'nt helped. Just wait till you see what happens with NOVA funds tied up now.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:49 AM
Aimless Wanderer

Location: Somewhere between the Port of Indecision and South of Disorder

x2 Merrick. There seems to be a lot of whining but little being done from the users to help the situation. I see it all the time on other boards when some one steps up and says "hey guys we need to self police" Or someone turns someone in they are chastised for their effort. We are not that far off from losing all of our legal wheeling areas if we don't get out crap together. I don't know about anyone else but I am pissed at what is happening. And I am personally getting more involved.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:57 AM
ForestWatchVP.org

http://www.kimatv.com/news/local/44843077.html

Area Closed Due to Weather
By Stacy Lilienthal
Watch the story

Snow is keeping a popular campsite closed for the holiday weekend. The Naches Ranger District decided to keep 90 percent of the Little Naches Drainage area closed to campers over Memorial Day Weekend.

Naches District Ranger Randy Shepard says snow is still a foot high in some areas, and it's just not safe. "They are extremely wet because they don't have established surface roads in them and things like that. And that's one of our concerns is that people would tear up the ground and perhaps even get stuck."

They say thousands of people usually come from Yakima, the Tri-cities, and Seattle to camp out that weekend. If you want spots in one of the few open, paved campgrounds at the mouth of the Little Naches Drainage, you better reserve it now.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:12 AM
ForestWatchVP.org

I support this closer. I have seen the damage that happens in the area from the Memorial Day crowds. I don't want to loose the trails because of the damage that happens when it is this wet. The holes on Kaner are deeper at the end of the bridges than the area they go over because of the people being there in the wet season with a heavy foot.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrick Graves View Post
Sure you want to stand behind that statement? Seems rather ignorant to me. Ever been to that area Memorial weekend? Ever attended a workparty there to help restore resource damage caused that weekend?

Education and emphasis patrols have not helped. Discussion of tire size and vehicle size has gone nowhere. Continued irresponsible overuse on Memorial weekend has forced the FS to respond this way. The financial cutback have'nt helped. Just wait till you see what happens with NOVA funds tied up now.
I'm sure glad there are local people in that area that work hard for the good of all!

It's sad to see areas like this torn up by off raoders who have no idea what others are going through to keep things open after they tear it up!
Old 05-13-2009, 04:50 PM
that WOHVA guy

Quote:
Discussion of tire size and vehicle size has gone nowhere.
Why do you think that limiting tire size is the answer to all our problems? I think our time would be better spent on educating wheelers.

Quote:
Continued irresponsible overuse on Memorial weekend has forced the FS to respond this way.
The driver behind the wheel is what causes resource damage...we should be educating these folks...not trying to limit the tires they run.

I would rather see the FS get aggressive with education & enforcement on the trail...I would welcome some ranger presence out on the trails. I only see them in camp once in a while. A busy weekend is an excellent opportunity to spread the word. The same goes for us...we should also be aggressive with policing our own.