Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Wheeling > Land Matters Discussion Area
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Land Matters Discussion Area Discussion Relating to Your Land/Legislative Issues

Old 07-16-2009, 08:35 PM

Default WTA Activist Outings

WTA Activist Outings
— filed under: Advocacy Opportunity, Guided Hike
Join WTA for a fact finding hike in our national forests.

What Advocacy Opportunity
Guided Hike

When Jul 11, 2009 12:00 AM to
Sep 26, 2009 12:00 AM
Contact Name Jonathan
Contact Phone 206-625-1367
Add event to calendar vCal
iCal
In an effort to better understand the current state of motorized use in our national forests, Washington Trails Association will be leading a number of activist outings this summer. These exploratory hikes will be geared at gathering on the ground information for specific trails and areas of concern. This data will help WTA better understand what areas of our national forests need better protection or enforcement.

Hiker activists will meet WTA’s advocacy director, Jonathan Guzzo, at the trailhead. Then you’ll begin to explore the area looking for signs of resource damage, ORV incursions or the potential access points into wilderness where motorize and non-motorized trails intersect. This information will be documented through photos and mapping locations, and will be used to help WTA efforts to protect hiking trails and wilderness during the National Forests’ Travel Management process.

Outing schedule:

July 11 – Mad River, from Chiwawa side (Wenatchee NF)

Distance: 12 mile loop Elevation gain: 1,250 feet

See the alpine meadows and wildflowers before this trail opens up to ORVs in late July.

August 1 – 2 Fortune Creek overnight exploration (Teanaway)

Distance: 10 mile lollipop, Elevation Gain: 3,000 feet

A stunning Alpine Lakes-adjacent river valley with access to high-country basins; we’ll likely encounter 4X4s. Set-up camp in this beautiful area and spend two afternoons exploring surrounding trails to see if there is evidence of motorized incursions into wilderness.

September 12 – Langille Ridge (Gifford Pinchot National Forest)

Distance: 11 miles round-trip, Elevation Gain: 2800 feet

A classic huckleberry hike in the Dark Divide, with 360 degree views and great wildflowers.

September 26 – Johnson Ridge (Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie NF)

Distance: 9 miles round-trip, Elevation Gain: 2900 feet

Adjacent to the newly-minted Wild Sky Wilderness, Johnson Ridge is a great little out-and-back with good views.

If you can’t make it on an outing there are still opportunities for you to help WTA gather information. Take WTA’s ORV incursion reporting form with you on your next trip to the national forest and if you come across damage or riders in wilderness areas please let us know about it.

If you are interested in learning more about WTA activist outings or want to join a hike contact Jonathan Guzzo at jonathan@wta.org.
Land Use Coordinator

www.peakputters.com

It's a Scout thing
Old 07-16-2009, 08:41 PM
that WOHVA guy

http://www.wta.org/trail-news/events...tivist-outings
Old 07-17-2009, 11:16 AM

We need to be paying attention here, too, folks! These outings are aimed solely at getting trails closed to us. That's what these people do. One of our club officers has suggested showing up with our rigs, some BBQ, and having some interplay to see what happens. Maybe Fortune Creek on the 1st of August

www.peakputters.com

It's a Scout thing
Old 07-17-2009, 11:30 AM
that WOHVA guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
We need to be paying attention here, too, folks! These outings are aimed solely at getting trails closed to us. That's what these people do. One of our club officers has suggested showing up with our rigs, some BBQ, and having some interplay to see what happens. Maybe Fortune Creek on the 1st of August
I had the same thought...tag along & start some dialogue
Old 07-21-2009, 10:33 PM
Old Goat

I will be staying at Gallegher Head Lake the weekend that WTA is doing their walkthru. It is a working weekend for me. My patrol will be that area that weekend. Also another Ranger will be on the Hiking trail doing some trail clearing. We are all planning to camp out at the lake. However things change fast and plans may change.

I have some jeep trail things that need to be done. There are 2 hill climbs that need to be closed and I need help with that. If anyone can come up to help let me know. Either here or PM me dierctly.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:41 AM
"OLD GUY"

It would be real nice to let them know we will be watching them and making sure that they leave no trace also. Try to put them on the defensive so to speak!
Cle Elum Ranger Dist. ORV Ranger
Build your rig to fit the trails, don't change the trails to fit your rig!
Old 07-22-2009, 01:43 PM
Old Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McMains View Post
It would be real nice to let them know we will be watching them and making sure that they leave no trace also. Try to put them on the defensive so to speak!
An album of hiking trail damage is being compiled. Should be available in the near future.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:25 PM
Washington State Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrick Graves View Post
An album of hiking trail damage is being compiled. Should be available in the near future.
Been thinking about doing that myself, Switchback cuts , fires above 5000' litter ,human waste, trampled areas around water ways ect. Every time I go hiking I see signs of bad hikers. Its time we start making them accountableirtDOG:
Member #40 Hombres jeep club
Region 2 landmatters chairman
Wa. State Director PNW4WDA
Old 07-22-2009, 05:41 PM
ForestWatchVP.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim putman View Post
Been thinking about doing that myself, Switchback cuts , fires above 5000' litter ,human waste, trampled areas around water ways ect. Every time I go hiking I see signs of bad hikers. Its time we start making them accountableirtDOG:
Hey Jim, in the olden days didn’t they just shoot at the Greenies to get them out of the woods?

Old 07-22-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceg_ View Post
Hey Jim, in the olden days didn’t they just shoot at the Greenies to get them out of the woods?

That happened a couple times down in one of the more remote corners of Coos County, where I grew up...Remind me to tell you what a local log truck driver did to some bikers up Dellwood one time

www.peakputters.com

It's a Scout thing