Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Wheeling > Land Matters Discussion Area
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Land Matters Discussion Area Discussion Relating to Your Land/Legislative Issues

Old 07-17-2009, 12:15 PM
that WOHVA guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim putman View Post
We have a few vendors that support us. Maybe not to the point that WTA gets but some none the less. The big differance is that we dont use what they give us to lock hikers out of the woods or close their trails or bankrupt their funding now do we
How do they support...prizes at Trail Jam or does it extend beyond that? I know that ARB, WARN & a few local Jeep Dealerships have had a strong presence at Trail Jam over the years.

But do they cough up $$$ for projects we would like to accomplish? I am thinking BFG might be the closest to this...with their efforts to recognize great trails in the US. Naches Trail, the Crushers in TSF...pretty sure some money was donated to help preserve these. How much did PNW4WDA get towards the Naches? How much did Raven Offroad Club get to maintain the Crushers?

I am not upset...just having a conversation with ya Jim
Old 07-17-2009, 01:16 PM

www.orba.biz Look at who is and isn't (Warn) part of this group.

www.peakputters.com

It's a Scout thing
Old 07-17-2009, 01:39 PM
Old Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk View Post
How do they support...prizes at Trail Jam or does it extend beyond that? I know that ARB, WARN & a few local Jeep Dealerships have had a strong presence at Trail Jam over the years.

But do they cough up $$$ for projects we would like to accomplish? I am thinking BFG might be the closest to this...with their efforts to recognize great trails in the US. Naches Trail, the Crushers in TSF...pretty sure some money was donated to help preserve these. How much did PNW4WDA get towards the Naches? How much did Raven Offroad Club get to maintain the Crushers?

I am not upset...just having a conversation with ya Jim
Warn has a year to year contract. It defines what we do for them and in turn what they do for us. Warns is likely to change when it renews.

ARB is currently not under such a contract.

The auto (jeep) dealerships are also not under any such contract.

I do know all of the auto suppliers mentioned are in a bigtime hurt. Currently it is very difficult to get donations of any kind from them.

BFG donated $3500 to the PNW4WDA for continueing work towards the betterment of the Naches Pass Trail. This years work on that trail will be reimbursed (by PNW4WDA)for money spent.

All of these company's budget for their promo's/events in either late Oct. or early Nov. After then they do have some ability to react to some additions and donations. All of the company's mentioned have event/donation planners and as such there is a method to address them. Generally speaking you need to meet their criteria to get donations. What will their benifit be? Size does matter.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:51 PM
that WOHVA guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrick Graves View Post
Warn has a year to year contract. It defines what we do for them and in turn what they do for us. Warns is likely to change when it renews.

ARB is currently not under such a contract.

The auto (jeep) dealerships are also not under any such contract.

I do know all of the auto suppliers mentioned are in a bigtime hurt. Currently it is very difficult to get donations of any kind from them.

BFG donated $3500 to the PNW4WDA for continueing work towards the betterment of the Naches Pass Trail. This years work on that trail will be reimbursed (by PNW4WDA)for money spent.

All of these company's budget for their promo's/events in either late Oct. or early Nov. After then they do have some ability to react to some additions and donations. All of the company's mentioned have event/donation planners and as such there is a method to address them. Generally speaking you need to meet their criteria to get donations. What will their benifit be? Size does matter.
Great info Merrick. So if I am reading correctly...only BFG has kicked down a chunk of money to benefit the efforts to keep trails open?
Old 07-17-2009, 02:09 PM
Old Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk View Post
Great info Merrick. So if I am reading correctly...only BFG has kicked down a chunk of money to benefit the efforts to keep trails open?
Not entirely true. From the efforts of those who support the Trail Jamboree we have raised and donated $20,000 back into the community. We (the Jamboree) has also accounted for many, many hours of time the FS has used to gain grants and funding.

Warn, ARB, Roberts Motors, Auto Nation, to name a few all helped with those endeavors. So to speak some of that found it's way into the trail system. We(the Jamboree) have also educated a lot of wheelers with the continued efforts of our sponsors.

Although not money directly on the ground the effort by them has an effect.

Please note that I have not accounted for the money raised going back into the PNW4WDA. For instance 30% of our profit goes into the scholarship fund. Other monies are utilized for money on the ground.

Last edited by Merrick Graves; 07-17-2009 at 02:12 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:00 PM
BOD

I also think that if you look at vendors such as Yukon, SkyJacker, the tire complanies etc....very few really have grant programs. Maybe it is something that can be suggested to them in writing.

I can tell you that a lot of the 4x4 companies that were listed in the SEMA book in 2007 are no longer in business. Money is fairly tight and not being spent on rigs at the moment and those companies have felt the pinch.

I do know from my letter writing campaigns for Creek and Trail as well as Winter Convention that donations are down significantly since 2005. I used to get anywhere up to 120-150 good raffle prizes since then it has been T shirts, hats and frisbees.

The BOD is also looking at ways to promote sponsorship that would entail selling advertising in TriPower, the website and the Trailer as well as donations to PNW that can be used for Trail Jam and Winter Convention. Hopefully we can get this solidified at the Sept meeting.

Beth

The ox is slow but the earth is patient
Old 07-21-2009, 11:15 AM
Forum Leader

It is important to remember that we can get a dollar from a hundred people easier than we can get a hundred dollars from one. We must also remember that a dollar saved is a dollar earned. Because advertising dollars are short these days, companies are often more willing to provide in-kind services in exchange for free advertising.

Let me give you a few examples of what our club does to get in-kind services in exchange for advertising:

R&P Parts pays for our website each year in exchange for a link to their website and an ad in our newsletter. Our website has been key to the growth of our club and our events. Money saved.

Truck Toys has paid for the printing of our newsletter in exchange for a large monthly ad in the newsletter. They have also included our name and events in their commercials. They have provided the PA system and cones with their logo for our Groundhog Competition. This provides us with free services and supplies while providing them with advertising. Money saved.

Warn Industries have provided us with key advice. We don’t ask them for product, but turn to them for feedback and ideas. In exchange, we hand out their stickers and hats.

Of course we also have 4x4 companies who provide us with product for prizes, such as 4 Wheel Drive Hardware and Tom Woods Drive Shafts in exchange for links on our website and advertisements on our posters.

High Desert 4x4 often provides printing expenses for our club.

All of these 4x4 companies provide us with exposure and saved expenses, allowing us to grow our club, grow our community exposure and use our club money for trail expenses.

But we must think beyond the 4x4 box in order to save money. The more money we can save on expenses, the more money we will have to spend on trails. Here are a few examples:

Alpine Glass and Bend Engraving provide the trophies for Groundhog each year in exchange for advertising. JP & Sons Construction often provides signs for our events and provides kiosk construction at trailheads. ArmorDillo Powder Coating provided gift certificates for prizes. Our local TV and radio stations provide PSA announcements for our community events. Hardy’s Hot Wings and Pilot Butte Drive Inn host show ‘n’ shines each year in their parking lots. They put up our name in their restaurants giving us free exposure.

A few years ago, our Trails Development Committee prepared a 100-page report on the lack of trails in our area. This report was sent to the local forest service and the Governor of Oregon and about 250 people in between. A local printing company, Lazerquik, provided the printing at cost.

Rainbow Threads is a local embroidery company who gives us a good deal on embroidered hats and coats. We include an ad for them on our newsletter. Bend Communications is a CB repair shop that gives club members a good deal. We also include an ad for them in the newsletter.

United Rentals often provides us with equipment at significantly reduced rates. We include their logo on our posters.

None of these companies are directly affiliated with the sport of 4-wheeling, but each provide us with important in-kind services so that we can use our money elsewhere.

The best way to grow our money for trails is to grow our club and grow our community influence. Deschutes County 4-Wheelers host a huge annual forest clean up each spring that has become well know in Central Oregon. When we approach a business for services or donations, we often hear, “Oh, you are the ones who clean up the forest every year.” They know us and therefore trust us.

We also participate in as many Forest Service community events as we can such as the annual Sportsman Show and the Education Fair. We get free booth space to advertise our club and sport and get free access to members of the community who we ordinarily would not see.

Our club has grown tenfold in the last couple of years. More members mean more money. We have become a know entity in Central Oregon and have much more influence with the Forest Service and BLM. This influence with the governing agencies and community has allowed us to develop more trails than we could have ever imagined.

So we must think outside the 4x4 box and find ways to save money, promote our clubs, and bring more awareness to our sport. This will allow us to use the money that we do have to put towards trails.

If anyone has any more ideas on how we can stretch our trail dollars by getting services instead of direct money donations, please post up. We can always use more ideas.
PNW Forum Leader Team Member
Region 6 Delegate
Bend, Oregon
Old 07-21-2009, 03:14 PM

patti, may I borrow your post and put it over on our site? Lots of good stuff in there!

www.peakputters.com

It's a Scout thing
Old 07-21-2009, 05:27 PM
Forum Leader

You bet!! And we welcome your ideas also.
PNW Forum Leader Team Member
Region 6 Delegate
Bend, Oregon
Old 07-21-2009, 08:03 PM

Thanks, Patti! You're welcome to come to our site to look around any time!!

www.peakputters.com

It's a Scout thing