Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Wheeling > Land Matters Discussion Area
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Land Matters Discussion Area Discussion Relating to Your Land/Legislative Issues

Old 07-29-2009, 12:05 PM

Default One of My Favorite Groups

Recommended Reading To Know What We Face:

Issues
Public lands are part of our nation’s natural heritage. They provide clean water, abundant wildlife and solitude for all Americans to enjoy. But a profusion of roads and the activities of a vocal minority of off-road vehicle users increasingly degrade these lands. Wildlands CPR works to promote balance, save money and create jobs by restoring unneeded forest roads to their natural state and by limiting off-road vehicle use.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roads take the Wild out of Wildlands
•They create and transport sediment that dirties our drinking water and degrades fisheries.
•Their spider web networks fragment wildlife habitat.
•They invite the spread of invasive weeds, which compete with native vegetation.
•They are costly to build and expensive to maintain. (The U.S. Forest Service alone has a $10 billion road maintenance backlog).
•More than 500,000 miles of roads already crisscross our national forests, cutting into nearly every corner of our public lands. How many roads do we need?
Wildlands CPR seeks to connect fragmented landscapes, protect our natural heritage, and restore our public lands into healthy, beautiful, natural places.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Off-Road Vehicles Destroy Wild Nature
•Off-road vehicles go everywhere, killing and harassing wildlife.
•They rip up our most fragile and remote lands.
•Dirt bikes and other off-road vehicles drown out the peace and quiet of nature.
•They’re often driven recklessly, posing a physical threat to hikers and horseback riders.
•Off-roaders violate the rights of other forest users.
•They frequently trespass on private land.
•Their inefficient two-stroke engines dump unburned fuel into the air, ground and water.
Wildlands CPR protects healthy habitat and quiet places, and reclaims access for muscle-powered recreation.

Restoration: A Positive Solution
We can restore clean water, encourage wild nature, and help to rebuild local economies by protecting our public lands from new roads and off-road vehicles, and by removing roads that are unneeded and damaging.

•Water - Removing roads from watersheds enhances clean water supplies for drinking, irrigation and fishing. (For example, rather than spending far more to build and maintain a water-treatment plant, the city of Seattle is investing $6 million to remove roads.)
•Habitat - Wildlife thrives in roadless forests, which offer people better viewing, and hunters higher quality and longer seasons.
•Fisheries - Clean, clear water means healthier fisheries for salmon and other fish.
•Communities - Restoring public lands brings skilled, family wage jobs to rural communities.

Wildlands CPR has been working with citizens, grassroots groups and land managers to protect and revive natural areas since 1994. We go wherever we are needed – from the cypress woodlands of Florida, to the red-rock canyons of Utah, to the fragile tundra of the Arctic.

Together we can make a difference – Donate to Wildlands CPR Today! Your contribution goes a long way to help us continue this work.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like the part about "rights". As tho we have none

About Us
Wildlands CPR revives and protects wild places by promoting watershed restoration through road removal, preventing new wildland road construction and stopping off-road vehicle abuse.

Wildlands CPR has been working with citizens, grassroots groups, tribes, and land managers to protect and revive natural areas since 1994. We go wherever we are needed – from the cypress woodlands of Florida, to the red-rock canyons of Utah, to the fragile tundra of the Arctic.

Our members include hunters, hikers, cross-country skiers, photographers, business owners, anglers, scientists, students, teachers, parents and many others.

We work to restore watersheds and rural economies by promoting road reclamation, which provides high-wage, high-skill jobs to people in rural communities. Their work to remove roads restores clean drinking water, reconnects fragmented wildlife habitat and ensures access to healthy habitat and quiet places, for human-powered recreation.

Our successes are many. In Big Cypress National Preserve, for example, we partnered with other groups to get the Park Service to rein in off-road vehicle use, reducing 23,000 miles of renegade tracks to just 400 miles of designated routes. In 2007 we helped secure more than $73 million for state and federal agencies to implement watershed restoration and remediation (Montana state lands - $34 million; (Forest Service - $39.4 million). In 2008 we coordinated the distribution of nearly 5000 copies of the book Thrillcraft: The Environmental Consequences of Motorized Recreation, working in partnership with more than 100 groups nationwide to put these books in the hands of decision-makers, media and land managers. During the last 14 years, we’ve trained more than one thousand citizens throughout the country to inventory roads, monitor off-road vehicle use, and remove unneeded roads. And in the last 4 years, more than 300 agency staff have attended Wildlands CPR restoration and off-road vehicle management workshops.
Land Use Coordinator

www.peakputters.com

It's a Scout thing
Old 07-29-2009, 01:59 PM
Cherokee Master

They are putting on workshops for managers, why aren't we doing the same, in conjunction with other associations and BRC? And a thanks to DC4W for what they have done in Region 6 with Deschutes ond Ochoco NF's

I love the 23,000 ?? miles of "renegade tracks" into 400 miles of desiginated routes. I guess any roads in the area were not put in by management..... (that is more than twice the entire road system of Wallow-Whitman NF)

We get hammered by the eco-nuts and sit back and cry.

1988 Cherokee 4 door, 3" Rancho lift, custom sliders/steps, custom roof rack, custom camo paint, custom camo headliner, custom bumpers and Warn 9500 HS, 31-10.50's

Only 31's, but can drag self with either rig

BLM John Day/Snake RAC-OHV Representative

Wolfpack 4x4's - Region 5 - "Cave Lupum"

VP- Outcast Land Use Review Team

Last edited by Art Waugh; 07-29-2009 at 02:02 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:42 PM

Hikers and nature Nazis scream and holler about Motorized damage to land but yet they cause damage too.
Here is a Hiking/mountain bike trail notice the concave toward the center of the trail.

Here is what it looks like after water runs down it.

This damage wasn't caused by motorized thrill craft . It was caused in a area were there isn't any motorized use allowed. So why are not we using these kind of tactics against them??
Why is it ok for them to destroy the land ? Because there are more of them?
I would really like to know.The kind of people we are dealing with are the type that think because they step in horse crap,horses should be illegal to use on the trail too.
I could go on but hey we as 4x owners already know how ignorant these folks are.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:57 PM
Cherokee Master

Agree about the horse issue. Some trails in Mt. Jefferson Wilderness are 2 feet wide and 4 feet deep because of the horse use and erosion. And this was 20 years ago. I won't even touch the fuel loads or the fact that the water is undrinkable below 6000 ft. because of the human waste.

1988 Cherokee 4 door, 3" Rancho lift, custom sliders/steps, custom roof rack, custom camo paint, custom camo headliner, custom bumpers and Warn 9500 HS, 31-10.50's

Old 07-29-2009, 08:26 PM

Art, Wade, I posted this in hopes of getting some reaction. I monitor the Wildlands CPR site regularly, but with some of the conversation that's been going on some of the sites I haunt, I figured it was time to share. These people are not going away, and we're sitting on our hands!! I spend a lot of time poking my elected officials and making phone calls. Should we all start logging our time? The fractures I sense in the 4x4 community have to be fixed. We don't have the time for internecine quarrels! I'm sure I don't have a magic bullet, but we have to start getting back at these elitist priggs. NOW!! I don't know if BRC spends much time working in Washington, but I'm gonna find out and light a fire under their arses...Okay, flame off

www.peakputters.com

It's a Scout thing

Last edited by Grumpy; 07-30-2009 at 05:09 AM.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:37 AM
Forum Leader

Here is part of our local debate. Just a couple of weeks ago, the Sierra Club hosted a workshop on identifying "OHV damage" (which was attended by about 10 people) and it was covered by one of our local TV stations. Fortunately, the TV station wanted balance coverage so they contacted our club for an opposing viewpoint. Be sure to click on the play video button and watch the news report.

http://kohd.com/news/local/134738

This proves one of the points I am continually harping on. Get involved in your community and become a known and respected entity!!!! If our club were anonymous, the TV station would never have known who to call for an opposing viewpoint. While the portion of the interview that made it onto TV was very short, we spent about a half hour explaining to the reporter who we are and what we do. He now can use us as reference material for future use. We have done the same with our local newspaper and are called upon and always quoted when an OHV story is published. When someone says “Sierra Club” everyone knows who they are. When someone says “(insert club name)” does anybody know who you are????
PNW Forum Leader Team Member
Region 6 Delegate
Bend, Oregon
Old 07-30-2009, 09:28 AM
Cherokee Master

Even worse than their "educating" the land managers, is the that they are spreading in the schools under the guise of "enviornmental education" and the materials they distribute to the districts, and the gullable college educated morons that in turn spew it out to the kids- "If you are not a hiker, you shouldn't be out there".

But try to get some kind of responsible OHV education program in place, yea, right.............

Old 07-31-2009, 04:18 PM

It all so doesn't help when we fight with very committed or commit-able nut jobs like this.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:43 PM
Aimless Wanderer

Location: Somewhere between the Port of Indecision and South of Disorder

That's just plain scary....

Old 07-31-2009, 04:47 PM
Cherokee Master

Could have got a bunch with a Warn "classic" on a full size truck. Bunched up pretty well there.