Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association  

Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Wheeling > - Wheeling reports and pics pics, pics, pics...

- Wheeling reports and pics pics, pics, pics... Stories of the trail and race

Old 08-20-2015, 07:53 PM
Friends

Default Oregon Trophy Challenge 2015

June 5th-7th was the 4th annual Oregon Trophy Challenge. It was also the fourth straight year that there would be a team representing Pistons Wild at the OTC. Team 17 was back and we had our sights set on bringing home the trophy!!!

With extra fuel, a shovel, and the trasharoo all strapped to the back of the Jeep, Tom and I left for TSF around noon on Friday.

Paul and Andy arrived close to 8pm. We offloaded the CJ and went over for the tech inspection. Thats when we found out that our start time was at 3:20am on Saturday. Yuck!!!

2:30am came quick. Some last minute food prep and everyone making an early morning restroom trip before we headed out for the "day".

3:15am the Jeeps were shifted into gear and off to Little Browns we went to get our first set of directions.

3:20am we meet with Gary Kipp and Teresa Sullivan. Gary handed us a list of trails that we needed to complete within 6 hours. Starting with Waterfall, then Ample & Alluring, Can Opener, Airplane Hill, and finishing with the Upper Crushers. The four of us looked at each other in disbelieve that we were going to be starting our day with four of the hardest trails in TSF.

We arrived at waterfall just minutes after the people running the check point got there. We gave them a few minutes to get set up and then we went for it. It being that we both got hungup on the filter and had to winch. Then my lockers didnt want to engage when we got to waterfall so I also winched up that while Paul made it look easy.

Over to Canopener we both walked through the filter.

Once up to the top the CJ took the left side until it got a little tippy. Tom and Andy pulled line and winched the CJ through. I was up next. I got my front tires up the first shelf and winched the rest of the way.

Ample & Alluring was next. It's a narrow trail and the lack of natural light makes it more challenging but we were to the top of it in a few minutes. Driving over to Airplane Hill we caught the sun starting to rise.

At Airplane Hill both vehicles had to go through the filters but only one had to run the feature obstacle.

Paul and the CJ have a history with Airplane Hill and needed to get their revenge. Getting hung up at the top we pulled some line to get the CJ straighten back out.

And then he said those words that should never be said while wheeling... "Just one more try"

Next time lets just use the winch.

But it was nothing that a little starting fluid couldnt fix.

With one trail left for the morning run it was time to get moving. Once over to Upper Crushers we did a quick rock paper scissors to decide who would be running the trail.

Me entering the trail.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:59 PM
Friends

Entering the upper loop

Working our way through

We had to break the winch out a couple of times but it only took us a little over 11 minutes to make it through the upper loop.

As we were pulling back out of the crushers I put the Jeep into 2wd. Thats when I heard a ticking sound coming from the front end. Once to the top of Firebreak 5 we went under the Jeep and found a u-joint cap had started to come out of the front drive shaft. As I started grabbing tools Tom and Paul got to work getting the cap back in place.

7:20am and we were four hours into our day, had ran 5 trails and made two trail repairs. Not a bad start to the day. We headed back into camp to top off our fuel tanks and make a quick breakfast.

8:15am we headed out to Lyda Camp for our next set of instructions. The Lyda Camp check point didnt open up until 9:00am. When we arrived there was only one team there ahead of us. Team 6 NAXJA. They had won OTC last year and were already proving to be a worthy challenger this year. Minutes later two other top competitors pulled up behind us. The pressure was on.

9:00am Gary come over and told everyone what the challenge was. Each team received 3feet of synthetic winch line. We then had to tie a loop in each end of the line for a grade. We then kept the line with us to use at a challenge later in the day. After we were done with the knot tying we were all given directions to follow and sent out of Lyda Camp 7 minutes apart. 2 turns in and we were lost... This is the make it or break it part for teams. 1 set of instructions and 4 different interpretations of the instructions. And you are all usually wrong. After driving in circles for a while, studying the directions, and looking at the map we finally figured out where we needed to be.

Check point #2 was at the top of Airplane Hill. We had to winch a vehicle through the filter using our 3feet of synthetic line in the rigging. If our knots fail so do we. We didnt fail and Paul was in through the filter in no time at all. Tom and I drove around to the bottom filter to meet up with Paul and Andy. When we got there we found the guys running the early morning check point struggling to get back out of the filter.

When they cleared out then it was the CJ's turn to go through the filter.

Following our directions we ran Dog Leg, Saddle Up, and the start of Cedar Tree when we arrived to the 3rd check point. And a lost NAXJA team was there ahead of us.

Check Point 3 was a map reading challenge.

To be continued
Old 08-20-2015, 08:06 PM
Friends

When we were finishing up with check point three we were feeling pretty good about how we were doing. While the NAXJA guys had beat us there they hadnt found check point 2 yet. While OTC is not a race there is a very large mental advantage to being one of the lead teams out on the course.
Tom turning in our mapping homework.

Leaving check point 3 we made a quick right turn onto Cedar Tree trail. We made short work of the trail and right as we were exiting the bottom section we arrived to check point 4.
Crystal reading off the instructions. I dont remember the exact verbiage but basically drivers couldnt go over a line on the ground that was between them and the vehicles while the passangers had to remove a tire from the vehicles, roll it around and them put it back on. Also while on the far side of the line there was to be no verbal communication meaning that Paul and I cant tell Tom and Andy where our tools are in our Jeeps.

Us drivers looking helpless

Then being the smart fellers that we are Tom and Andy moved the Jeeps to where Paul and I were so we could all work on the Jeeps at once. There was still no verbal communication but having the people that loaded the vehicles there to get tools out makes all of the difference in the world!

From there we headed down University Firepower.

Following our directions took us to a short section of the Powerline trail

And then back through Lyda Camp where Gary flagged us down to inform us of a change of plan. Lyda Camp was now the home of check point 5. We had to build a survival shelter with what we had in our rigs. And a fire that was hot enough to boil water. They did supply us with fire wood for our fire. Tom and I got started on the shelter while Paul and Andy boiled our water.

Leaving Lyda Camp we kept on following our directions until we made it to the bottom of Hood Raiser and check point 6. We all jumped out of the vehicles and the gentleman running the check point looked at us and said "you need to travel 4.29 meters per second up the trail. Go!" And we all ran back to the rigs trying to convert meters to feet, feet to kilometers, and miles to centimeters while bouncing down the trail. Math gets harder while driving, bouncing, and in a rush. Once done with that check point we were back to following our directions. And we got lost again. We probably logged an extra 20 miles and yet never went anywhere. Once we finally got back on track we made it to check point 7. Our final check point for this part of the day. It was a first aid based check point. And while I feel like we did okay it its probably time that we reassess our back country first aid equipment and skills. By the time we finished check point 7 it was around 3:30pm and we were to hangout and wait until 5:00pm for our next set of instructions.
Team 16 NAXJA in the lead, Team 17 Pistons Wild, And Team 6 NAXJA right behind us.

To be continued
Old 08-20-2015, 08:18 PM
Friends

1 1/2 hours of down time right when everyone is hitting the 13 hour mark is a hard thing to deal with. At one point or another everyone on all of the teams that were waiting lied down for some rest. But then none of us could resist a little trash talk. And in the end none of us were smart enough to use that extra time for rest, or maintenance, or food, or etc....

Just before 5:00pm Gary and crew arrived with the next set of instructions. The first team left right at 5:03pm with the following teams leaving every 7 minutes after. This was a timed section. The set of instructions had us following mostly gravel roads out to the western end of the OHV map. Gravel, gravel, and more gravel, then Stick In The Nose. More gravel over to Firefox then back onto the gravel to Bates Road down to the hwy and back up through Jordan Creek Camp Ground and finishing back at the base of Canopener. It was dusty out there and we did have to stop one time to keep the CJ from overheating while climbing a very long steep grade.

7:10pm we were the first team back to the base of Canopener. And the event staff was right in the middle of their dinner not expecting anyone to be back for at least another 45 minutes. Whoops. We were just a little to fast. Team 6 NAXJA arrived 7 minutes after us so we werent the only ones that were early.

When the event staff started to head out to the check points Gary gave us our last set of directions. There were 6 GPS/Map coordinates on the directions and those were our trails for the night run. Starting with one rig up Canopener, two down Waterfall, one up Little Rubicon, one up Airplane Hill, two up the lower section of Firebreak 5, and finally one through Lower Crushers. And we had until 2:00am to complete them.
Canopener turned into another winch fest

Gravity was working with us at waterfall

We then decided that we would go over to Little Rubicon, winch up it, put some air in the tires and run down to Gales Creek for fuel. We were only 2/3rd's correct on what we would do. Winch and then air to remount the passenger side front back onto the CJ. By the time we were finished with remounting the tire it was to late to make it to Gales Creek for fuel. We would have to run with what we had.

By the time we left Little Rubicon it was dark out. Our last three trails were going to be full on night wheeling! We went on to Firebreak 5 and went up it with relative ease. Then made the decision to go to Airplane Hill before the Crushers. I went up Airplane Hill and with the spotting of all three I made it up with ease. By then it was close to 11:00pm and we only had the one check point left at Lower Crushers. When we arrived to the filter there were two cones sitting there. Thinking that this was the start of the challenge we all got out and walked in to see what we were going to be getting into. About 100 feet in we spotted another set of cones up ahead and figured that that would be the finish line of the challenge. We were wrong. I pulled in through the filter with Paul spotting me and made it right through. Then we all hopped into the LJ and drove to the real starting line. And from there it was a long slow crawl with lots of spotting and the occasional winch pull. But we made it through.

Andy carrying the gas can after putting it into a tree

After about 1 1/2 hours we were back on a gravel road trying not to fall asleep while headed back to camp.

9:00am and all of the teams were at the event site awaiting the results from Saturday.

The top three teams were

3rd place: Team 16 NAXJA
2nd place: Team 6 NAXJA
1st place: Team 17 Pistons Wild

We were in the finals for the second straight year!

Team 6 was the first to go do the Sunday challenge, We were second and team 16 went third.

Our tasks for the day were a silent scavenger hunt using what we had in each vehicle, a barrel race around three barrels with both rigs strapped together, and remove a tire from a vehicle and maneuver it through a course on a gravel hill.

Other then one glaring mistake during the scavenger hunt I felt that we did a very good job with the tasks at hand.

Barrel race

Tire course

The last team went after us and then we all bent back to Browns Camp for lunch and to see who won.

3rd place: Team 16 NAXJA
2nd place: Team 17 Pistons Wild
1st place: Team 6 NAXJA

Two straight years the guys in team 6 have managed to pull off the victory. Congratulations guys! But dont you worry, we will be back next year to take the trophy home!

Last but not least I want to say thank you to Gary Kipp for putting on this years Oregon Trophy Challenge! And another big thank you to all of the volunteers that worked their tails off all weekend long!
Old 08-21-2015, 12:50 PM

Well done! Great write up
WOHVA Board member

www.peakputters.com
www.wohva.org

It's a Scout thing
Old 09-03-2015, 09:16 PM
Pimp of the woods

Awesome report and great job!!! I compeated in all 3 of the TTC's that were held up here in Wa. (even won 1 of them) and would love to get my teammate and I to head down there for one. Maybe I'll try to get him to run it with me next year.

Also, this thread first worthwhile anything I have read on this forum in a long time.
Old 10-31-2015, 05:29 PM
Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by wood View Post
Awesome report and great job!!! I compeated in all 3 of the TTC's that were held up here in Wa. (even won 1 of them) and would love to get my teammate and I to head down there for one. Maybe I'll try to get him to run it with me next year.
Hope to see you down here for next years event!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wood View Post
Also, this thread first worthwhile anything I have read on this forum in a long time.
Thank you for that!!!