Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Wheeling > Your Regional Forums > Region Four > Meeting Minutes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-16-2017, 08:57 PM
raspberry's Avatar
raspberry raspberry is offline
BOD
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kenewick
Posts: 226
Default Region 4 minutes - November 14, 2017

REGION 4 MINUTES
November 14, 2017
Ephrata, WA

Director Earl Nettnin (Desert Rats) called the meeting to order at 7:30 PM. The Pledge of Allegiance was recited and a moment of silence for the sick and departed was observed. No guests were present.

MINUTES: Ron Rutherford (Jeepin' Nomads) made a motion seconded by Skip Frans (Trail Seekers) that we accept the October 10, 2017 minutes as presented; motion carried.

TREASURER'S REPORT was given by Sande Nettnin; our WOHVA dues of $100 are due in January. A motion was made by Dave McMains (Hurtin' Units & Columbia Basin Sand Commandos) seconded by Ed Massey (Columbia Basin Sand Commandos) that we pay our $100 dues to WOHVA; motion carried. A financial statement for Pick Up A Mountain (PUAM) was handed out and discussed. A motion was made by Dave McMains seconded by Skip Frans to approve the financial statement for PUAM; motion carried

COMP: a nice article giving the results of the Competition playday September 30 and October 1 in Astoria, OR is in the October Tri-Power.

MEMBERSHIP: Last month we voted into membership our new club in Wenatchee, (Trail Seekers).

CLUB POWER/WE DID IT: Chairman Gary Harting (Desert Rats) was not present he was attending to some family business out of town. Please turn in your paper work when you have an activity. A question was asked if we still gave out the brads and nail heads. Answer – they haven't been available for quite awhile, patches were still available if they marked that box on the forms. It's hard to get them to even put their name and address down.

JR. JEEPERS: We still need someone to take this on.

PUAM: Jim Hall wrote up a very nice article on the event that should be printed in the next issue of Tri-Power. Despite the smokey conditions we had a pretty good turn out. The Forest Service came in and issued passes to us so we were able to go through the barricade to get to the trails. Thanks to Gary Lease (Forest Service) for helping with this. The Forest Service appreciated our efforts in cleaning up the trails. Everyone seemed to have a good time inspite of the smoke.

PR: Chairman Jim Hall (Jeepin' Nomads) will send out information on activities and land matters, etc. If you have something you want sent out, contact Jim at his email jimh@fairpoint.net; or cell phone 509-969-9905 or his home phone 509-697-8724.

Some really good PR for the PNW - at the Competition Playday in Astoria, Oregon they raffled two Winches and all the proceeds went to local firefighting organizations in Kittitas County. The Moonshiners also stepped up with funds. A donation was also made to the National Wildfire Fighting Association in Oregon. Both organizations were very appreciative of the funds.


LAND MATTERS
TRAVEL MANAGEMENT PLAN – will have adverse effect on us. This has been in the works for many, many years. Fish & Wildlife has asked for a 145 day extension.
Little Naches Collaborative– Little Crow (Ron Rutherford sits on the steering committee) he reported that the timber sale happened really fast this year. However, they cannot cut the big trees because they are in a special reserve where 80 plus year old trees needed to be protected, this was set here in the Western United States for habitat trees for owls and others. This has to be reviewed, rewritten and resolved before they can cut those trees. Ron said he and Barb took a little trip to Little Naches to see all the work they did on the 1902 road to Ravens Roost, nothing had been changed there because of the fires. However, on the 1921 they had a grader and trackhoe putting in culverts on a road that is in the lower end of the Huckleberry timber sale. Logging may
start this winter however, they can't cut any big trees. The timber sale in Swauk Pine has the same problem with old growth trees. The Little Crow, Little Naches meetings go on and Ron represents all recreation on the Steering Committee. Next month they will have a 4 hour meeting to go over things. Discussion followed on grants being applied for to improve hydrology and aquatic habitat in the watershed through floodplain restoration and in-stream replenishment of large wood. Ron said a 4/5 year plan has been set in place, our presence at the table is very important. Thank you Ron for all your hours spent on our behalf.

56,000 acres in the Norse Peak fire will not be contained until the snow flies, in reality wilderness needed to burn. Dead trees will be dumped in the river to be habitat for salmon and steelhead.

There will be a Human Ecology Mapping meeting on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 from 5:30 – 8 PM at the Tom Craven Conference Room in Cle Elum at the Ranger Station. We have been asked to participate in this to identify specific places in the Manastash-Tanuem area we value and answer a few questions about how we recreate in the area. Doug Conner (Roamin' Chariots), John Thompson (Midnite Mudders) and Earl Nettnin plan to attend. Everyone is welcome to attend.

There will be a Trail Partners meeting Tuesday, December 12, 2017 at the Naches Ranger Station time TBA.

October 7 TWIG meeting was reported on by Ron Rutherford. He reported that the Ranger said they were getting the 1000 Road rebuilt next year to Conrad, all the horse people were happy; the 1040 Road going up toward Bears is getting rebuilt. Money is there and it's a done deal. Then they handed out paper work showing last years accomplishments, however, it was all motorcycle and hiking trails, Ron asked them where the 4X4 trails were. Ron said he is not happy raising grant money that doesn't include 4X4 trails. We did accomplish one project that Dale & Diane Neuman (High Country Cruisers) and others helped on, we did the puncheon. We are going to take a look at the Forest Service budget to see just how much was spent on 4X4 trails. Ron has asked for a meeting with the Ranger and Bill Zimmer to discuss 4-wheel drive projects. He will report back at our next meeting. The motorcycle group attending is wanting to purchase a mini trackhoe that they can use on the
trail to do work, however, you cannot bring your own equipment in to work on Forest Service land. Someone asked where the money went that was designated for 4-wheel drive trails. The Forest Service didn't have an answer.

JUNIPER DUNES: They are still acquiring land right of way for public access. Hopefully dirt will move next year.

Moses Lake Sand Dunes: Dave McMains reported not much is happening right now.

Dale Neuman reported that Swauk Pine is on hold; as well as the PAC – no money - Capital Budget not passed.

Milk Creek reroute did not get accomplished this year – no money maybe March or April next year. We may bring it next year as a Region 4 project.

Beverly Dunes has been closed by DNR as well as Buck Creek Trail Head #1 & #2, Island Camp and Bird Creek. No funds.

Ahtanum Short Cut– seasonal iron gates were built and installed November 2nd. Since Region 4 & the PNW supplied man power and some of the funds for the gates, we will have a dedication in the spring.

OLD BUSINESS
Nominations opened for Region 4 officers for 2018. The nominees so far are Director Earl Nettnin, Vice Director Skip Frans; Secretary/Treasurer Sande Nettnin; Lead Land Matters Dale Neuman. Nominations will open again in January and voting will take place.

Dave McMains has resigned from the Forest Service - Cle Elum Ranger District.

Dale Neuman also reported that the Jeep for the Cle Elum Ranger District has not been properly equipped for trails. Discussion followed.

NEW BUSINESS
Stacy Wilson Marketing Specialist for Cabela's would like to put on an event involving 4-wheel drive.. It would be a show & shine or a meet and greet at Cabela's in Union Gap. We need a person to act as the coordinator. Spring time would be a good time. This would be good PR for Region 4. More info to come.

Ron Rutherford said he had been contacted at the WOHVA meeting last Sunday by a gentleman named Russ Henry who would like to put on an event next September in the Ahtanum to raise funds for motorized wheel chairs for veterans. Discussion followed and it was tabled until our January meeting.

WOHVA REPORT: Ron and Barb Rutherford attended the annual meeting last Sunday. Ron represented the Region. Four new people were voted in as board members, one of them was Dave Walters (Tri-City Peak Putters). Byron Stuck out going WOHVA President was given a plaque with letters of praise for all he had done as a BOARD member. Crystal Crowder presented information on passes, i.e. Discovery Pass, Trail Park Passes etc. There were 8 PNW members present.

CLUB REPORTS
Trail Seekers – Skip Frans thanked the Region for voting the club into membership. Skip said he went to the Liberty Work Party September 23rd . They had 3 rigs attend the Beverly Dunes Cleanup November 4th. They had a trail ride up Douglass Creek. They have a club meeting Thursday November16 and will have 3 or 4 potential members attend. They have a Christmas Tree run planned in December and a run out of the steps area in Kittitas to view the Elk in December and January.

Hurtin' Units – Dave McMains reported they had set January 13th for their annual meeting and party at the Millspaugh mansion. They are planning to go to the Rubicon in 2019. The Mitchell's have a new grandson.

Jeepin' Nomads – Ron Rutherford reported his club attended PUAM in September. They had a run planned for October 21st but due to snow it was canceled. December 10th will be their Christmas Tree run.

Columbia Basin Sand Commandos – Ed Massey reported their entire club attended PUAM and they cooked and served the pancake breakfast. Their Christmas Party will be the second weekend in December. Their president is working on a Jeep he plans to race down the BAJA in April.

High Country Cruisers – Diane Neuman reported that Dale won a prize for his underwater Pumpkin carving at his scuba dive. They attended a very nice wedding of Bradley Schwisow, the grandson of Earl and Sande Nettnin.

Desert Rats - Earl Nettnin reported the club participated in the Veteran's Day Parade in West Richland on November 11th, followed by a pizza party, They also attended their grandson's wedding in Bellingham. Nominations for 2018 officers was opened and will be reopened again at their December meeting.

Good of the order – LKQ Corporation announced they have agreed to acquire the aftermarket business of Warn Industries, Inc.

Hearing no more business the meeting adjourned at 9:05 PM

Next two Region 4 meeting dates will be:
No December meeting
January 9, 2018 at Magic's Pizza – Selah, WA

FUTURE EVENTS/WORK PARTIES
February 9-11, 2018 Winter Convention in Stevenson, WA at Skamania Lodge hosted by RPM Racing.

Respectfully Submitted


Sande Nettnin, Region 4
Secretary/Treasurer
__________________
Sande Nettnin
PNW4WDA Secretary
Region 4 Secretary/Treasurer
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.