Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association  

Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Wheeling > Your Regional Forums > Region Four > Meeting Minutes

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-13-2014, 08:34 PM
raspberry's Avatar
raspberry raspberry is offline
BOD
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kenewick
Posts: 238
Default Region 4 minutes November 11, 2014

REGION 4 MINUTES
November 11, 2014
Pasco, WA

Director Earl Nettnin (Desert Rats) called the meeting to order at 7:35 PM. The Pledge of Allegiance was recited and a moment of silence for the sick and departed was observed. No guests were present.

Minutes: The minutes from October 14, 2014 had a couple of corrections, first we had reported that the name of the new enforcement person in the Ahtanum was Randy Ray. This was incorrect, his name is Richard Rhea; second we reported that the Forest Service counter had 47,000 vehicles on it from May to September on the Naches Trail, we should have said it was on the lower end of the 1900 Road. Ron Rutherford (Jeepin' Nomads) made a motion seconded by Don Andrews (Timberwolves) that we accept the minutes from October 14, 2014 with the corrections; motion carried.

Treasurer's Report was given by Sande Nettnin (Desert Rats). All bills are paid and we have nothing outstanding at this time.

Comp: Steve Zentner (Push & Pulls) the PNW4WDA's Comp Chairman reported that we will not be racing at the Tacoma Dome in 2015; however, they are working on hopefully getting us back in 2016. He did announce that the Barrel Extravaganza May 9, 2015 at the Cowlitz County Fair Grounds in Longview is on schedule. More information will be coming.

Membership: Mountain Masters reported they had not been able to make contact with the person in Wenatchee who had expressed interest in the PNW. They did report that they have a potential member who will be voted into their club very soon.

PNW Web Site: no comment.

Club Power/We Did It: Chairman Gary Harting (Desert Rats) said he had nothing to report and he was very disappointed that no one had turned in any run reports for quite awhile. Discussion followed and Gary said he was resigning as Region 4 Club Power/We Did It Chairman effective December 31, 2014. Earl said he was planning to bring up at the December Board meeting (for discussion by the Board) if we really needed a Chairman for each region since material was being submitted to the PNW's Club Power/We Did It Chairman and by-passing the Region's Chairman.

JR Jeepers: nothing to report.

Trail Jamboree: There were no White Headed Woodpecker sightings or any Bull Trout issues. Doug Conner (Roamin' Chariots) reported that at the Collaboration meeting November 5th that someone with an airplane did have some White Headed Woodpecker sightings to report; apparently most have left the area.

Pick Up A Mountain: We are very happy to report that we did make a little profit this year. Earl reminded everyone that our goal here is to break even and be sure that everyone has a good time.
We picked up about 3/4 of a ton of garbage. Since the forest seems to be pretty clean discussion was held on if we should consider a change of location. No decision was made at this time.

PR Clay Graham (Individual Member) is doing a great job of getting information out to us. He just sent a new alert regarding the manufacturing of Side by Sides. It seems the government is wanting to be involved in the manufacturing of them. Send an email to congress opposing CPSC's (Consumer Product Safety Commission) proposed mandatory standards for ROV's (Recreation Off-highway Vehicles). Short story federal regulators are trying to impose their "street-oriented" view on ROV users and the industry. This rule could devastate ROV recreation on a national basis. Please take action.


Land Matters:
Doug Conner reported not much has happened with access at Juniper, however, it appears that some things are starting to happen, new power polls have been put in, and the area is still getting a lot of use.
Ron Rutherford reported in the Ahtanum area, positive things are happening. Ron spent October 22nd with Richard Rhea (Enforcement Officer in the Ahtanum); and was able to share some information and history with him, however, they didn't get out on any trails because the weather was not cooperative. Richard works 4 tens, so he works every weekend and he rides a quad. He seems to be all about recreation and keeping things open. Ron said he had spent 5 days in the Ahtanum during Elk Season, so it was Forest Watch time and looking for Elk. Ron said the White Pass/Chinook Pass area project that had been scheduled for Monday & Tuesday of this week had to be canceled because the equipment that was needed was in for some repairs and would not be available. Project has been moved to next week Monday & Tuesday, however, the weather may put a stop to it. Jeff Leisy (Forest Service) has scheduled a meeting November 18th at 7 PM at the Naches Ranger Station to discuss his proposed trail maintenance information sheet he has prepared to help in reporting maintenance problems that need to be fixed. Jeff would like to have a representative from each club present. We have lots of work to be done in the Naches area. Funds are still available from the Naches Trail Maintenance Fund; The Moonshiners also have a trail maintenance fund, so some money is available to us.

TWIG meeting: Earl reported they had met the new Ranger Kelly Lawrence and she is looking forward to working with us. She said, Jeeps and motorcycles are good. She seems to be all about keeping public land open for public use. We also received word that Mike Balboni (Forest Supervisor for the Okanogan/Wenatchee National Forest) is getting married and retiring. The next TWIG meeting is December 2nd and will be a Volunteer Appreciation meeting 7 PM at the Naches Ranger Station.

Collaborative meeting on the Little Naches Restoration Project (Little Naches Watershed) was discussed. This group known as the TAPASH group was selected for this particular type of restoration where a group of people give a recommendation to the Forest Service on how to manage this land. The purpose of the Collaborative Forest Landscape Restoration Program is to encourage the collaborative, science-based ecosystem restoration of priority forest landscapes. The project started in 2009 and is to be completed in 2019.

The 1708 Road repair is completed to Milk Pond not to Milk Lake.

The Nature Conservancy has purchased 47,921 acres from Plum Creek. Ten sections of this land is in the Little Naches Drainage and have some of our 4X4 trails. No one was told about this until it was a done deal. Lots of discussion followed and we really need to keep watch on this.

There is supposed to be 2,900 acres in the North Fork of the Cowiche that was to be set aside for Elk. Oak Creek is supposed to manage it, but they haven't looked at it yet. Not many Elk in the area.

No news on the Swauk Pine Restoration project in the Liberty area. Comment period is closed; no Record of Decision yet.

WENAS area will be closed December 1st. Ron Rutherford said a meeting should be coming up in December sometime to discuss recreation in the spring.

Old Business
B.F. Goodrich sign on the Naches Trail needs to be put back up. Discussion followed and this will be put on the list of work projects for the Naches Trail. Ron Rutherford will talk with Merrick Graves who has the sign and make arrangements to get it back and see what needs to be done to it and put it back up.

Beverly Dunes clean-up November 8th was a success. There were about 10 Jeeps present and the dunes were pretty clean; they picked up about 30 to 40 bags of trash. Most of it came from around the perimeter. Stephanie Margheim (DNR) was impressed with us. She is willing to work with us and said give her at least 2 weeks' notice when we planned another work party so she could arrange her schedule so she could attend. The Mountain Masters like the Beverly Dunes better than the Moses Lake Dunes.

New Business
Nominations opened for the 2015 Region 4 officers and will be open again and voted on at our January meeting. The following were nominated: Region 4 Director Earl Nettnin; Vice Director Ron Rutherford; Secretary/Treasurer Sande Nettnin; Lead Land Matters Dale Neuman (High Country Cruisers); and PR Clay Graham.

Earl reminded everyone if you are going to need the PNW Insurance for an event, you need to get that information to Carol Jensen (PNW Insurance Agent) by January 31, 2015.

Trail Counters: Four of the six are currently installed and operating. The committee is Earl Nettnin, Ron Rutherford, Jim Hall (Jeepin' Nomads), Josh Wesselius (Ridgerunners) and Wade Kabrich. Josh is our Computer expert. One of the counters was dug up and the information gathered showed since July 3 we had 1,898 hits in the Ahtanum. The group plans to dig up the rest of them and compile the information and present it at Winter Convention. Hopefully Earl will have numbers to share at the Board meeting December 6th. The numbers will be used to go after grant money. Jeff Leisy (Forest Service) is interested in borrowing one of our counters for a project they have going this winter. Ron said he couldn't give him an answer as we would need more information and he could not approve it; the Board would have to handle that. Don Andrews volunteered to help retrieve the counters if they needed more help.

Club Reports
Desert Rats had 18 vehicles participate in the November 8th Veteran's Day Parade in West Richland. Following the parade we had about 50 people meet at Round Table Pizza for lunch.
Roamin' Chariots - Doug Conner reported a day trip to Whistlin' Jacks for breakfast then to Ravins Roost, then over Green Pass, over Stamped Pass and came out on I-90. He saw a lot of hunting camps.
Jeepin' Nomads have been doing forest watch during Elk season, hunting and attending meetings.
Timberwolves have been kind of idol; they are waiting for snow wheeling to start.
Mountain Masters had a couple of runs; they went to Beverly Dunes and took their candidate who they plan to vote into membership at their next meeting.

Good of the order
NO December meeting.
January 13, 2015 Liberty Off Road in Moses Lake, WA 7:30 PM

FUTURE EVENTS/WORK PARTIES
PNW Board meeting December 6, 2014 in Longview, WA 9 AM
Winter Convention February 13-15, 2015 in Bothell, WA Hosted by the PNW Board - information is in the current Tri-Power.

Meeting adjourned at 9:12 PM

Respectfully Submitted


Sande Nettnin, Region 4
Secretary/Treasurer


Happy Thanksgiving, Merry Christmas & Happy New Year.
__________________
Sande Nettnin
PNW4WDA Secretary
Region 4 Secretary/Treasurer
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-19-2014, 10:10 PM
Merrick Graves Merrick Graves is offline
Old Goat
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Naches
Posts: 585
Default

The Milk Creek Road is repaired to the point of the District boundary (enters WDFW managed land) just above the Lily Pond Trail cutoff. It is in good shape as it had been restored just the summer prior to it being damaged by the floods.

The Naches Pass Trail sign was actually ripped (and damaged) from the sign post which was about 100 yards into the trail at the Rabbit Holes. The sign was placed there to discourage such damage from those who drive the roads( also special permission was required to place the sign). It had the holding bolts welded to the post as theft protection. There is a sign theft problem of river name, camp ground signs in that area. I am frankly amazed it lasted as long as it did. I would recommend not putting the sign back, but rather placing it in the Trail Jamboree archives.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.