Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association  

Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Wheeling > Your Regional Forums > Region Four > Meeting Minutes

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2018, 09:30 PM
raspberry's Avatar
raspberry raspberry is offline
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kenewick
Posts: 241
Default Region 4 minutes, August 14, 2018

Ephrata, WA
August 14, 2018

Director Earl Nettnin (Desert Rats) called the meeting to order at 7:30 PM. The Pledge of Allegiance was recited and a moment of silence for the sick and departed was observed. Earl asked everyone to please remember our Washington State Executive Director Arlene Brooks (PNW Individual Members Club) as she has been hospitalized for the past month.

GUESTS: From the Cle Elum Ranger Station E & E Officers Mikki Douglass and Dawn Fouts and from Moses Lake Brent Langshaw.

MINUTES: Ed Massey (Columbia Basin Sand Commandos) made a motion seconded by Char Massey (Columbia Basin Sand Commandos) that we accept the minutes from July 10, 2018 in Pasco, WA as printed; motion carried.

TREASURER'S REPORT was given by Treasurer Sande Nettnin (Desert Rats), Dale Neuman (High Country Cruisers) submitted his bill for gas transporting the Jeep Eugene where it needed to go for repairs. We will receive the bill for t-shirts for our Competition Race Team following Summer Convention.

COMP REPORT: There will be a fund raiser at Summer Convention to help one of our PNW kids who was injured and required a hospital trip due to burns. This involved an airlift and overnight stay at Harborview in Seattle. They will have a spaghetti feed and raffle to help Taylor Schwartz and her family with medical bills. If you would like to bring a dessert to share and donate a raffle prize, please contact Carmen Trummert.

MEMBERSHIP: nothing new at this time.

CLUB POWER/WE DID IT Chairman Gary Harting (Desert Rats) was not present, he and wife Myrna went west to try and get out of the smoke. He did send the following report: Moses Lake Sand Dunes cleanup April 21, 2018 had 1260 miles driven one way; Liberty Trail Maintenance May 18 24, 2018 had 1609 miles driven one way and 320 man hours; and the Naches Puncheon Repair July 2, 2018 had 1234 miles driven one way and 56 man hours from 6 people who were from all over the state. Gary said he would have a more detailed breakdown for our next meeting. Gary said a special thanks to Sande Nettnin who filled out the proper forms for the Moses Lake Sand Dunes cleanup.

JR. JEEPERS: We are still looking for someone to take this on. Mikki Douglass said she has not done the program called Jr. Rangers for a few years and she would like to work with us to bring this program back.
Discussion followed and if someone would like to step up and take this on Mikki would love to help.

PUAM (Pick Up A Mountain) is September 14-16, 2018. Camping for the weekend is $20. The $900 camping fee will be paid tomorrow. If you would like to help contact Alicia Palachuk (Shindig Wheelers) at 509- 697-4178 or The Columbia Basin Sand Commandos will cook and serve breakfast on Sunday again. A motion was made by Dale Neuman seconded by Char Massey that the Region donate $350 for door prizes; motion passed. Randy Hayes is in charge of the corn shucking again. He and wife Lola have gone to Walmart and gotten a donation of $100 for prizes for it in the past, however this year Walmart only gave $75, so the Sand Commandos gave $25 more so it came to $100 again. Hopefully the smoke will clear.

TRAIL JAMBOREE: was successful and everyone had a great time. Dash Plaques have been mailed out. The food was good, and the entertainment in the evenings seemed to go well. Discussion followed on getting more people involved, we need more security on the front gate, 24-7.

PR Chairman Jim Hall (Jeeping Nomads) if you have something you want sent out get it to him. Jim's email address is cell phone 509-969-9905 home phone 509-697-8724.

TRAVEL MANAGEMENT PLAN is still a work in progress.
NACHES COLLABORATIVE had a working group meeting July 19th at the Naches Ranger Station from 12:30 4:30 PM. A couple things came out of that meeting. The Aquatics had a draft of what their action items are. One is closing 36 miles of road decommissioning, the cost is estimated at $12,000 to $20,000 per mile. Another one is in the Naches they want to move the 1900 road and relocate it later. Well that isn't going to fly. Lots of discussion followed so we need to be at the table looking out for our trails. They shared some operating protocol that says silence is agreement, and they want to have that as a ground rule for all meetings (like the end of a wedding ceremony where the person performing the ceremony says if you know why this couple should not be joined in marriage, speak now or forever hold your peace). So if you don't speak up you agree. We are going to object to this. They want to pass this at their next meeting.

HEM (Human Ecology Mapping) You are encouraged to participate in the Manastash Taneum Resilient Landscapes Community Forest Values Mapping Project. You are asked to go on line and submit your survey responses by September 10, 2018. Please go to: and share where and how you experience this landscape. This survey will help plan for future management and restoration efforts in the area. You will be asked to identify up to three places in the Taneum area that are important to you. You will be asked to draw each place on an interactive map and answer some questions about why that place is important. This survey will take approximately 12 minutes to complete. If you have questions or would like more information
contact the Cle Elum Ranger District 509-852-1100. We encourage all PNW members to take the survey.

Washington Forest Collaborative Network - Ron Rutherford was asked to be a part of the network for people involved in Washington's eight forest collaboratives. They will have monthly 1-hour conference calls where they give updates and discuss ideas about how to tackle shared issues. An interesting comment was that for many forest collaboratives recreation is a relatively new issue to bring into the fold. Ron was happy to join the call.

TRAIL PARTNERS signage is being put up. Ron Rutherford is in charge of getting this done.

BLUE MOUNTAIN FOREST PLAN REVISION for the Malheur, Umatilla, and Wallowa-Whitman National Forest Plans is out and the objection period has started. FAFA (Forest Access For All) has put out a publication about how to file an objection, you have until the end of the month to get your comments in. These forms were handed out tonight, so please get them filled out and sent in. If you would like more information on the plan,

NOVHCC (National Off Highway Vehicle Conservation Council) is working in partnership with the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) and needs our assistance in learning how the BLM can better provide access to high quality OHV recreation experiences in the state of Washington/Oregon. They have scheduled 5 meetings and one is in Washington on September 14, 2018 from 6-9 PM at the Red Lion, 1101 N. Columbia Center Blvd. In Kennewick, all others are in Salem, Coos Bay and Redmond Oregon. Our PNW President Angie Marek is on the NOVHCC Committee. BLM is not organizing these meetings but will be there to answer questions on how TMP (Travel Management Plan) and RMP (Resource Management Plans) processes will work, the timeline for those processes to occur, and how your suggestions could help shape future decisions. For more information contact Marc Hidesheim, NOVHCC Project Manager at 208-416-3557 or at

Shoestring Work Party September 8 & 9, 2018. Mikki Douglass and Dawn Fouts from the Cle Elum Ranger District came to discuss their need for our help on this project. Camping will be at the Manastash Camp Grounds. Supplies will be delivered to the work site so we won't have to transport them. The plan is to leave the camp grounds at 8:30 AM and head to the site. Dinner Saturday night will be provided as well as breakfast Sunday morning so please contact Mikki Douglass at if you are planning to attend so they can have enough food.

Dale and Diane Neuman (High Country Cruisers) along with Skip Frans (Trail Seekers) took Mikki's boss on a tour of the 329 and 319 trails to see what needed to be done. About 5 days later due to fires all work is on hold.

LILLY POND WORK PARTY on the 618 trail will be in October.

MILL CREEK RE-ROUTE is also on hold due to fires.

On July 13, 2018 we had a meet and greet with Erick Walker, Deputy Forest Supervisor at Wenatchee. The meeting was to have been one hour but it turned out to be two hours. He wants to get involved and see everything. We invited him to PUAM and the Naches Collaborative meeting July 19 which he did attend. Skip offered to take him out to see some of the trails in the Wenatchee area. He plans to live in East Wenatchee.
He comes to us from Sandpoint, ID.

AHTANUM CLEANUP July 28 was well attended and some of the Desert Rats attended.

Trail Jamboree lots of discussion on how things went this year. One thing was stated that we didn't have good security on the front gate. The Sand Commandos said maybe everyone should wear wrist bands. We do, do that for meals, but we need to have someone watching the gate at all times. We are still looking for someone to be the chairman; contact Angie Marek PNW President. If no one steps up the Board will have to do it.

Open nominations for Region 4 COMP Chairman. Kevin and Terry Mohan (Nitty Gritty) were nominated, they have said they would accept the nomination. Nominations closed and a motion was made by Dale Neuman seconded by Dave McMains (Hurtin' Units) to cast a unanimous ballot for them, motion carried.

Nominations opened for most inspirational in Region 4; nominees are: Dale Neuman, Ron Rutherford, Jim Hall. Nominations closed and will open again in September and be voted on then and the trophy presented at PUAM.

Trail Seekers Skip Frans said they canceled a couple of runs due to fire, he went with Neumans on the Forest Service ride along. Two of them plan to attend the Shoestring work party; August 26th they will work with the Wenatchee Valley ATV club and Fish and Wild Life to take down illegal signs and replace them with proper signage in the Clockum. Some will attend PUAM and Expo in September. July 25th Skip went over with the Rainier Scramblers and Cascade 4X4's to put on a show and shine at the Buckley Loggers Jubilee, they had 90 plus entrants and half the money went to injured loggers.

Hurtin' Units Dave McMains said nothing new since Father's Day. Some of their club members have become grandparents. They plan to go to Liberty over Labor Day. They had a good time at Trail Jamboree.

Columbia Basin Sand Commandos Ed Massey said they are working on things for Pick Up A Mountain. They give out a $400 scholarship and this year they only had one application and it was approved. They are working on rigs and Randy Hayes is driving a car in the demo derby at the Fair.

High County Cruisers Dale said they had taken the Cle Elum recreation manager Kim Larned, John Simonson, Dawn Fouts and Mikki Douglass on a tour and training expedition. They visited with Diane Prebe at the Liberty work party and made arrangements for them to take down one of the hazard trees in the camp ground. They plan to attend the Shoestring work party, PUAM and Expo.

Desert Rats Earl Nettnin reported that part of our club were trail hosts at Jamboree and some did the TECH Inspection. Our host group did a work party on Monday before Jamboree to fix a puncheon on the Naches Trail.
Our trail leader Brad Schwisow had some problems with his Jeep on the pre-run Tuesday before Jamboree
started, he ended up taking his rig home to Blaine, WA and putting a new transmission in and was back in camp early Thursday morning. Some attended the Ahtanum Cleanup. Some of our club will launch Sprint Boats at St. John later this month. We will attend PUAM and some will attend Fall Delegates.

Dave McMains reported the PNW had received a nice thank you card from the Ramynke family. We had a fund raiser for them at Trail Jamboree. They were the family that had been injured at the Liberty Work Party.

Ed and Char Massey's son Aaron has a new house.

More on the Shoestring work party. This is an area that requires a Northwest Forest Pass. Mikki will have passes available for all workers.

Skip Frans said he had taught a two day Ham radio class and 14 of the Northwest Overlanders passed. Skip is encouraging them to join the PNW as a club or as Individual Members.
Eugene is finished and back home with the Forest Service in Cle Elum. Mikki said she wanted to properly thank everyone for all the work that was done on Eugene, it has never driven so good. She really appreciated everything that was donated to make it happen. She presented thank you certificates.

Mikki Douglass thanked Region 4 for all our volunteer hours and she presented certificates of thanks to several
of Region 4. She said we are the only group that continues to volunteer our time and equipment in the area. No one comes close to us.

Next two Region 4 meeting dates will be:
September 11, 2018 at Magic's Pizza, 309 South First, Selah, WA 7:30 PM
October 9, 2018 at Abby's Pizza, 702 Grant Road, East Wenatchee, WA 7:30 PM

Summer Convention August 17-19, 2018 at Ethel
Fall Delegates September 8, 2018 in Astoria, OR
Shoestring work party September 8 & 9, 2018
PUAM September 14-16, 2018 at Jim Sprick Park
Northwest Off Road Expo September 22, 2018 at Thomas family farms Snohomish,WA

Save the date October 25-27, 2018 Washington State Trails Coalition in Wenatchee, WA
Representing the PNW Skip Frans, Dale & Diane Neuman and Carl Niebuhr. Registration is open now and everyone is welcome to attend.

Hearing no more business the meeting adjourned at 9:15 PM

Respectfully Submitted,

Sande Nettnin, Region 4

Breaking News. Thursday we received word that Arlene Brooks was diagnosed with Stage 4 Cancer. Please keep her and her family in your prayers.
Sande Nettnin
PNW4WDA Secretary
Region 4 Secretary/Treasurer
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.