Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association  

Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Wheeling > Land Matters Discussion Area

Land Matters Discussion Area Discussion Relating to Your Land/Legislative Issues

Old 12-11-2015, 10:38 AM
that WOHVA guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim putman View Post
Do you really want me to drag out that soapbox again
Seriously how far do you think we would get without a base of leadership that does the work nobody sees.
Well...if you need a soapbox, then no. However, if you want to share your thoughts in a productive way that contributes to the conversation, then please share.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:47 AM
that WOHVA guy

While some of you might not agree, I think some healthy debate/conversation is exactly what this Association needs. As Merrick pointed out, we've been here before and the struggle has always been on how to keep it civil?

When we discuss process improvement at work we always say...Attack the process, not the person.

The PNW4WDA is rich with history and many folks have worked very hard to get us to this point. Now is the time to figure out how we can take the Association to the next level.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:49 AM
Washington State Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay W View Post
Here's an "outsider"s view.
I do enjoy jeeping and have for 20+ years. I don't belong to a club and I'm not a PNW member, so I guess I'm one of the others, Bubba. If you're going to group everyone outside the circle together, I will and have for many years, do the same to you. I have know about the PNW4WDA for a long time but the image that comes across is attitudes like Jim and Art. Why would I want to be associated with people like that? Jay sorry if my "attitude" is an issue for you but why dismiss the entire org simply because I am not the best communicator ?
However, in recent years I have started to realize the value of the groundwork put in place by the PNW over 50+ years, yes groundwork. The group NEEDS to continue and the only way that will happen is to WELCOME new membership.We ALWAYS welcome new people no matter what kind of 4x4 they have. You're dealing with newer generations with different views and attitudes not unlike how generations before looked at you. That doesn't mean the new kids are wrong, just different. Don't throw away your hard work with a "you owe me" attitude. Sorry it comes across that way. People ask why should I join and what does the PNW4WDA do for me and I give an honest answer.
Perfect example of how this SHOULD go:
Recently I was asked by a good friend to go to a meeting. "Let's go see what this group is all about". I had heard of them before but knew next to nothing about them. Everywhere my daily travels on the internet took me, they were asking for people to come to the annual meeting. I thought wow, they are serious about this! We were welcomed, thanked, and they had great presentations that were relevant and important to our sport. We learned some inner working details about the group and of course what they are all about. I couldn't wait to get back home and show my support by joining. Yes Bryan does a fantastic PR job for WOHVA I just wish we could get him or someone like him to do the same for the PNW4WDA

I'll end with some random thoughts:

Why does the PNW not include ATV groups? Power in numbers Mostly due to insurance issues for events (ours dosent allow them) and 2nd were a 4x4 org and this has been discussed MANY times over the years and its the path the members have chosen.

Communication is EVERYTHING! We live in the age of instant gratification, fast food, Google, email, texting. People want to know what's going on!

No one thinks they have the right to destroy your hard work, they simply don't know any better. Educate.
We do on a constant basis. (then we get drug thru the mud)
As Brandon said, offense is the best defense. Agreed but that takes volunteers with those kinds of new ideas to step up and do the work.

Why are the PNW board members hiding behind the curtain? That's exactly what makes me think they don't want new members disrupting the "way it's always been". I have been addressing that battle for years You can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink. I would have to say though that given the negative attitudes shown on this thread and others I can see why they don't interject. Not everyone wants to get stung by the bees

It seems the PNW is a minority in the off-road world, they should be the majority.
Couldn't agree more

I have to get to work
Member #40 Hombres jeep club
Region 2 landmatters chairman
Old 12-11-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk View Post
Well...if you need a soapbox, then no. However, if you want to share your thoughts in a productive way that contributes to the conversation, then please share.
Seriously Bryan I have for years. I have never said I was the best voice but at least I am a voice. Maybe I'm not as articulate as many but I get my point across and sometime the truth hurts. I tell people what they need to hear not want they want to hear.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk View Post
While some of you might not agree, I think some healthy debate/conversation is exactly what this Association needs. As Merrick pointed out, we've been here before and the struggle has always been on how to keep it civil?

When we discuss process improvement at work we always say...Attack the process, not the person.

The PNW4WDA is rich with history and many folks have worked very hard to get us to this point. Now is the time to figure out how we can take the Association to the next level.
Ironic
Old 12-11-2015, 11:25 AM
that WOHVA guy

Quote:
Seriously Bryan I have for years. I have never said I was the best voice but at least I am a voice. Maybe I'm not as articulate as many but I get my point across and sometime the truth hurts. I tell people what they need to hear not want they want to hear.
Quote:
Ironic
Come awn Jim....work with me. I'm seriously trying to have a civil & productive conversation.

If you realize that maybe you're not presenting the info in a way that invites others, then maybe it's time to change your approach?

I've always said that you deserve huge respect for the amount of personal time you volunteer for OHV Advocacy....I just wish you were more effective in your delivery of "the truth" as you see it.

I think we could both benefit from softening the message we share...

Old 12-11-2015, 12:57 PM

My name is Adrian Valliere. I have taken over as the Washington State Director. I have never participated in a forum for the exact example of what is going on in this thread. I am, however, willing to participate here to show that the younger generation has started to step up and take some action. I will also like to inform everyone that it is not easy to step up into a position on the board because it does involve a lot of work and effort that YOU volunteer on your own accord for the betterment of 4-wheeling, the next generation, the environment, and last but not least yourself.

I will say that I do not have a thin skin and can take criticism with the best of them, but I will not accept any complaining and negativity about how things are going with the PNW4WDA or our sport without ideas on how to fix it. I am on a huge learning curve and am still learning from Jim and Arlene on how to be effective at this job.

With all of that said, I will join the conversation. I also greatly appreciate everyone's involvement and time in which you have volunteered for our sport and Association.

Thanks
Old 12-11-2015, 01:05 PM
Friends

Thank you Adrian for coming forward. Washington State Director of..........

PNW4WDA I am assuming? Can you educate an outside on what your roll is in the organization? Thanks.
Old 12-11-2015, 01:07 PM
that WOHVA guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Valliere View Post
My name is Adrian Valliere. I have taken over as the Washington State Director. I have never participated in a forum for the exact example of what is going on in this thread. I am, however, willing to participate here to show that the younger generation has started to step up and take some action. I will also like to inform everyone that it is not easy to step up into a position on the board because it does involve a lot of work and effort that YOU volunteer on your own accord for the betterment of 4-wheeling, the next generation, the environment, and last but not least yourself.

I will say that I do not have a thin skin and can take criticism with the best of them, but I will not accept any complaining and negativity about how things are going with the PNW4WDA or our sport without ideas on how to fix it. I am on a huge learning curve and am still learning from Jim and Arlene on how to be effective at this job.

With all of that said, I will join the conversation. I also greatly appreciate everyone's involvement and time in which you have volunteered for our sport and Association.

Thanks
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I am familiar with the amount of time/energy it takes to step up and be a volunteer...I'm a BOD member for WOHVA and remember seeing you at our annual meeting seated next to Jim.

I agree that putting yourself out there is tough and I don't think we will ever make everyone happy. I think we are just trying spark some conversation about how we can improve the association. I feel that we should be able to have some honest conversation about what is working and what could be improved. Highlighting some opportunities doesn't necessarily equate to "complaining and negativity". It's tough to talk about solutions when the current leadership doesn't participate in the conversation...or gets so defensive that the conversation gets off track. I think the forum is a great tool that could be used more to share information.

Looking forward to your comments...thanks for stepping up as the WA State Director.
Old 12-11-2015, 01:09 PM
that WOHVA guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay W View Post
Thank you Adrian for coming forward. Washington State Director of..........

PNW4WDA I am assuming? Can you educate an outside on what your roll is in the organization? Thanks.
Yes, he is the new PNW4WDA WA State Director....here's a link to the rest of the elected officers:

http://www.pnw4wda.org/your_elected_officers.php