Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Wheeling > Land Matters Discussion Area
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Land Matters Discussion Area Discussion Relating to Your Land/Legislative Issues

Old 10-25-2017, 07:33 PM

Default USFS Ecosystem Restoration Policy

This is the rule as if May 27, 2016, and I have issues with it. I've commented about this before, and am about to start raising a ruckus about it...again.

My big gripe is this paragraph:

"A notice of availability of a proposed Ecological Restoration Policy (78 FR 56202) was published in the Federal Register on September 12, 2013 for public review and comment. A total of 16 comments were received: Five from non-affiliated members of the public, two from State government agencies, four from the timber industry, and five from non-governmental organizations."

Sixteen comments, nation wide! Only two states could take the time to put their nickle's worth in. And I'll bet anyone paying attention can take a pretty good shot at who those five NGOs were. With that little input, this thing never should have escaped from under the rock hiding it.

The other issue I have is some language included in this little tome. Read this paragraph. May be a couple times:

"This policy provides that “ecosystem restoration” can be carried out through the processes of ecological restoration and functional restoration. Ecological restoration typically focuses on recreating the ecosystem conditions that were present prior to European influences. However, some ecosystems may have been altered to such an extent that reestablishing pre-European conditions may be ecologically or economically infeasible. In such circumstances, management goals and activities should create functioning ecosystems in the context of changing conditions through the process called functional restoration."

Notice the phrase "pre-European conditions". Pretty sure we all know what that could mean, and I can hardly wait for whatever the FS comes up with.

I came across this late,for which I apologize, but I still plan on rattling some cages. I have had brief discussion with my Congressman and his staff, but other things have come up that left it hanging. I will be sending a copy of this to them,as well as posting it on a couple of other sites that have been handy for swapping info.

At any rate, that's my rant for now, and here's the "rule":

https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...oration-policy

www.peakputters.com

It's a Scout thing
Old 10-25-2017, 08:49 PM

Default Ecosystem Restoration Policy - April 2016

Dave, I have downloaded this portion of the Federal Register and will review the policy as soon as I can.

I have forwarded the information on to Don and Carol Jensen, our Inter Association Directors, for further review. They will be attending a meeting over the weekend (NAMRAC) and may be able to shed some light on the areas you have an issue with when they return.

Arlene Brooks,
WA St Director
Old 10-26-2017, 10:19 AM

Thanks Arlene! And nice to see you back, if only for a while.

www.peakputters.com

It's a Scout thing
Old 10-31-2017, 09:40 AM
Cherokee Master

I'll second Dave's thanks. At least the members up there will start getting information again.

1988 Cherokee 4 door, 3" Rancho lift, custom sliders/steps, custom roof rack, custom camo paint, custom camo headliner, custom bumpers and Warn 9500 HS, 31-10.50's

Only 31's, but can drag self with either rig

BLM John Day/Snake RAC-OHV/Recreation Representative

Wolfpack 4x4's - Region 5 - "Cave Lupum"

Pres.- Outcast Land Use Review Team
Old 11-17-2017, 07:15 PM

Default Reply to concerns -

Dave,
I sympathize with you and your concern regarding the lack of participation when it comes to commenting on polices or various land issues. However, when a notice is made available for public review and when comments may be submitted, it is those who are interested that will take the time to submit written comments and have it placed on record.
As for the language used to describe the intent while constructing policy, such as for the Ecosystem Restoration, it is the authors prerogative and will be guided by the responsible officials to implement such policy.
I have had only one time, I was able to change language from 'play area' to 'recreate on' - during the construction of policy with the author - it all came down to the intent and image of the four wheel drive community.

Arlene Brooks,
WA State Director
Old 11-17-2017, 10:51 PM

Me being the somewhat cynical critter I am, I tend to suspect this didn't get the play it should have with the proletariat. May be too late, but me being me...

www.peakputters.com

It's a Scout thing